free website stats program front brake lever feel?? | Harley Davidson Forums

front brake lever feel??

I have a 2000 flhtpi and sometimes when I take er out of the garage in the morning to go to work the front brake lever pulls to the grip, like no fluid in the resovoir ( I checked its fine) but then it feels normal after working it a couple times.Heres the kicker, after the bike is sitting at work for the day, I get on it to come home and the lever has about a quarter inch of play and is hard as a rock, but again after working it a little it goes back to normal. The bike is sometimes in the sun all day, but still dont understand the differences in the feel from morn to afternoon. This dosent happen all the time just sporadically. Has any body had this experience??? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

I had the same thing happen on my 08 RK and it turned out to be the front rotors were warped, I would not have believed them until they brought me back and showed me, but that is what it was so have them checked.

May be air in the system, try bleeding, if that doesn't work I would look to the master cylinder as Glider said.

One of Harleys's biggest downfalls it seems on 05 and later touring bikes is the Front Master cylinder (MC). Almost everyone I know with a touring bike has had problems. My recomendation is replace it. On my 05 RK I rebuilt the cylinder twice before talking to a guy in the service department who said that HD does have a problem with this. My wifes 2011 Heritage Classic has already had to be replaced do to the same problem. They explained the little piston hole in the MC for some reason is slightly oblong. So even rebiulding it, it will eventually leak down. Of course once you pump it up a few times it will work good for a little while.
Good Luck and make sure you pump it up before taking off or when you really need the brakes they won't work.

Back