free website stats program Front Axle Installation Tip | Harley Davidson Forums

Front Axle Installation Tip

glider.

BOT Machine
Re-Installing The Front Axle

This question seems to come up quite a bit on various motorcycle forums: "Do I tighten the pinch bolt and then the axle bolt or the other way around?"

The simple answer is, axle bolt first and then the pinch bolt. This will ensure the axle has been pulled all the way through both forks before being locked down on the right side.

The CORRECT way which takes just a few more minutes is as follows:

To ensure your fork tubes travel up and down smoothly without one being slightly out of line with the other, tighten the large axle nut to the manufacturers spec but leave the clamp bolt loose.

With the wheel butted against something solid (wall, garage door, cabinet...) repeatedly pump the front end up and down as far and fast as you can both pushing and lifting on the handlebar at least half a dozen times. DO NOT use the front brake because the calipers clamping on the disks might prevent the legs from centering themselves. This procedure will align the fork tubes for the smoothest possible operation.

When you're finished with the above tighten the pinch bolt to specs and go ride with your forks riding exactly parallel to each other, possibly for the first time ever.

thx bro,,i thought that was correct,but i didn't remember the gap down by the speedo drive ,,just paranoid i guess,,o.k lets go ridin gonna be 90 here in east tennessee...

easier to do up the pinch bolts tighten the axle then losen the pinch bolts, the fork will spring out slightly, if u pull it out it will spring back in, this is how i did it on the factory mx bikes i teched on, n it works perfect and is quicker.

Back