free website stats program from hard pull clutch to no pull | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

from hard pull clutch to no pull

Thanks TQ and Bodeen. Much appreciated. I'm going to put a new cable and throw-out bearing and see what happens. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks again.

Tourbox, TQuentin1, and Bodeen-
Just some follow-up to let you know I'm back on the road! I replaced the throw-out bearing and also the outer ramp. I want to specifically bring up the outer ramp as it was, (upon closer inspection), pitted pretty badly. Each of the pockets that hold a ball bearing have an off centered pitting going on, (I'll try to post a pic), and bad enough to stop the bearings from free travel. Cable was inspected and was found to be good and was lubed while apart. Did clutch adjustment and I'm good to go. Thanks for your input. Very much appreciated.

As promised, here is a follow-up pic of the pitting in the outer ball & feed ramp assembly I was talking about. You should be able to click the pic to enlarge it. (That is, if I get it on here from photobucket successfully, lol!)
IMG_0410_zpslcvpczph.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Tourbox, sorry about that. I had to resize it. Anyway, kinda funny that the pitting is actually off-centered from where the bearings would normally seat at their lowest point on all three cups. Even though the problem was solved by replacing the outer ramp, I am still wondering what would cause this. Maybe just age? Is there such a thing as the cover itself having enough wear in the spot where the outer bearing sits, and thereby creating enough play or freespace enough to hang up the bearings? Bike has 73k and change.

Attachments

• IMG_0410 (800x598) (2).jpg
    IMG_0410 (800x598) (2).jpg
    311 KB · Views: 18
I couldn't tell you about what would of caused that much wear. The ramp just sits in the cover and doesn't move, just the inner ramp moves. That one looks as though it has 2 holes in it from the balls, almost 3, or am I looking at it wrong. Perhaps defective material?
tourbox

Thanks, Tourbox. I was wondering about how the ball bearings could remain in that off-centered position for the period of time it would have taken to cause that bad of pitting where it ocurred. At this time, I'm kinda leaning towards your theory of defective material. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated!

Back