free website stats program Found a good wind chill calculator. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Found a good wind chill calculator.

LOL, I rode 1 home in 88 and another in 92
Weatherproof clothing has improved considerably since that time
However when it is cold I use the car as I have too many memories from the past of taking many hours to thaw out and feel normal again worst was 200 miles on snow covered roads in jan 82 back to barracks after new year break to find that the heating system in the barracks had been destroyed by the cold radiator in my room was completely smashed by the ice inside it got told to go home again and come back in a week
That was a cold day snow was falling in the west driven on by the strong winds and the sun was blinding as it sat low on the horizon to the south

Brian

Weatherproof clothing has improved considerably since that time
However when it is cold I use the car as I have too many memories from the past of taking many hours to thaw out and feel normal again worst was 200 miles on snow covered roads in jan 82 back to barracks after new year break to find that the heating system in the barracks had been destroyed by the cold radiator in my room was completely smashed by the ice inside it got told to go home again and come back in a week
That was a cold day snow was falling in the west driven on by the strong winds and the sun was blinding as it sat low on the horizon to the south

Brian
Hi Brian.
I use the truck when it is cold most of the cold days too. When it hit 8*F here in Atlanta I had to ride the Bike to break my personal record of 16*F. It was not easy, even with my heated gear but I did it.

I think I am at about -12*c as the coldest I was on a bike but that was many years ago I got a car in 83 and since then only been on a bike once when it was below freezing about a 90 mile trip home with wife on the back there were trucks and cars in the fields at the side of the road and I got the bike home without issue however I was going a wee bit slower than normal
I have never had heated gear however april 2015 had to take 2 bikes for inspection last week of the month temp did not get above 3*c all week had 2 x 50 mile round trips that week and I was comfortable so current gear is good enough as I wouldn't have a pleasure ride if temp below 10*c

Brian

The winters is Scotland must be brutal. It's amazing how cold it can get, here in the deep south, in the lower 48. However, the cold is nothing and is paled by the summer temps and humidity. Have a good week end!

Believe it or not, I think the winters in Scotland are a bit less drastic than we have in the midwest. I monitor an area a bit further south than Brian, so since Brian is a bit further north than the area I watch, he may have more extreme than Lanark. The temps stay more steady around the 30* mark. ;) But we may have -5* one day, and 65* the next here in the midwest. :O

We have not had a harsh winter for a few years now 2010/2011 was the last harsh winter this area was closed off by the snow for a few days at a time from nov to late jan
As Scotland has the water current of the north Atlantic drift bringing warm water to surround us it brings a milder winter I am further north than Moscow when the weather systems change we can have severe winters so the weather is fairly variable
When it is bad it is no fun on a bike

Brian

I use the truck when it is cold most of the cold days too. When it hit 8*F here in Atlanta I had to ride the Bike to break my personal record of 16*F. It was not easy, even with my heated gear but I did it.
It amazing some of the things we do to test ourselves while riding...:eek:

Back