free website stats program Fork Spring change: Why pull the forks off? | Harley Davidson Forums

Fork Spring change: Why pull the forks off?

MoDaddy

I'm sure there's a really good reason to, but

why do you have to completely remove the forks from the triple-clamps
just to change the fork springs?

Can't you just drain the oil, remove the top-cap and swap the springs
with the forks still in place?

Please excuse the newb-ness, but
I just don't see it...

It's not necessary to remove the forks from the triple trees to change the springs if the forks are the stock units. If you have changed to inverted type cartridge forks like those that Storz sells, then removal is the easiest way.

I have changed my fork springs (07 Nightster). It helps if you have a clean heavy duty leather welding glove to wear as you remove the retaining nut on the top of the tube. The nut has a lot of pressure and as it trys to shoot accross the garage, you will find very sharp edges on the spacer tube trying to remove large portions of your skin.

Also - make sure you have the frame of the bike supported. Failure to do this will result in the bike tilting forward and falling as t you remove both springs from the fork tubes.

Hope this helps.
Jake

It is a lot easier to work on the reassembly when the tubes are removed from the triple trees because when you try putting the tubes back together, there is a lot of pressure needed to put the top nut back on the assembly. It's hard to do that when the tube is in the trees. You will need to use your body and leverage your weight to compress the tubes against the ground. If it's still in the trees, you will need to push up to compress the tubes, which is not likely to work unless your frame is somehow held down to not move.

The previous posts covered most of the reasons why, but another one is convenience, as once you have the forks out of the triple trees you can bench repair off the bike a lot easier, inspect, replace, refill and just install them without having to deal with a suspension part trying to come appart while trying to control the bike steady when reassembling. You also need to perform the tightning sequence correctly and minimize "cocking" or mis-aligning the shock assemblies trying to do your yoga imitation.

Back