free website stats program Fork oils | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fork oils

Chopper. What about a roadking with a sidecar attached to it. Would the 15wt be better?
Sorry but really don't have any experience with sidecar setups, someone that runs a sidecar could answer you better. I think the touring bikes float down the road, so much so I'd have a hard time staying awake on a trip, that's why they call them touring. Why change that. If you feel you need a stiffer ride that's what it's for, and like Bud said it depends how big you are:)

what about 415 lbs. of me and wife on roadking> what you recommend?
I don't know if there's a magic number to go by for weight, Harley runs type E and most are happy with it, even 400+ lbs, most of the weight is on the rear and you adj. the air shocks for the ride, I would add a few pounds there for extra weight but I think the front suspension is more about handling & riding styles, a more aggressive rider might perfer a heaver fork oil because it responses faster. Are you happy with the ride? If not don't be afraid to experiment to get what you want you can alway change back. I have found harley's done a good in putting everything together to work together and nine out of ten riders I've meet are happy with type E.

I tried the SE fork oil and it was way to firm. went back to the stock oil, much better.

I agree with duffey, most customers I've installed S/E fork oil for (at their request) have me take it right back out, makes the ride too rigid for them. The key word here is most.

You can try a bit of "Alchemy" and mix 5W & 10W (like brands) to up it to 7.5Wt, (when fluid wears it drops in viscosity) or even better, try BelRay that has 7.5Wt available, which I did because it was simpler, and it forks work great.

Suspension tuning is accomplished through a bit of trial and error. Next time you have your bike on a lift with the front suspension unloaded, wheel off the floor, measure the distance from top of slider to front fork top clamp. Use zip tie on one of the fork sliders to allow it to be moved to measure suspension travel. Now with the bike on the ground measure after the rider is aboard (don't bounce)...measure to the bottom of the zip tie and you have the solo rider (pre-load measurement).

You can now go on a test ride leaving the zip tie there and you will get the compression measurement; normal street riding (do a measurement) and full bump on rought road (if you bottom the suspension during your test ride, the tie will show you the total stroke). Now, if you want good feedback, talk to one of the knowledgable guys at Progressive Suspension or others that can match up the rest of the details you provide. You will be glad you did...! :D

Last edited:
Back