free website stats program Foot peg vibration | Harley Davidson Forums

Foot peg vibration

elvys

My 04 Super Gide has started to have a vibration through the foot pegs. I switched out the engine mounts and stablizer but the problem still persists. It is worse in first gear and when I back off the throttle. It happens at higher rpms but not as noticable....any suggestions???

Any modifications to the engine like a large bore kit?

The worry is about a twisted crank. Excessive vibration that comes on suddenly with no More likely if there has been a large bore kit installed, but not necessarily required. I would suggest measuring the runout on the pinion shaft. If the crank has scissored, it can lead to catastrophic failure of the oil pump or worse.

TQ

My 04 Super Gide has started to have a vibration through the foot pegs. I switched out the engine mounts and stablizer but the problem still persists. It is worse in first gear and when I back off the throttle. It happens at higher rpms but not as noticable....any suggestions???

Well I'm not sure exactly what's going on with your bike since if it's more serious like TQ said then that's another thing. But I'm wondering how much clearance you had (if you can remember) when you started to bolt up your new front mount (isolator) to the frame ? I.e. how much did it have to stretch forward ?

If you had a lot of clearance say like a 1/4" or more, then some vibration can be eliminated by unbolting the mount from the frame and shimming the clearance with washers and then installing respectively longer grade 8 bolts to make sure you have proper thread depth. I did this on my 07 Dyna and I have much less vibration at high speeds (about the same at idle).

You can just buy stainless washers and hex head grade 8 bolts at Ace or Fastenal. The normal plated ones will work ok, since it's nearly impossible to find grade 8 bolts of that size in stainless. Just buy them the nearest extra length to the shim amount. And make sure the bare shank area does not penetrate the mount threads. Don't get them too long, those mounts only have about an 1-3/16 inches of threads before they bottom out.

I'm about the 100th person I know of that has done this (prolly many more). And most all of them say it lessened the vibration. A very few said they could tell no difference at all. Anyhow just thought I would throw that in. Hope you get it fixed so it don't bother you.

If it's mainly on decel, I would inspect the exhaust system for close proximity to the frame or other parts of the bike. There is a bit of movement on decel that shifts the engine/trans assy so it can contact the frame or other parts.

Back