free website stats program Foam in oil tank | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Foam in oil tank

Engine is questionable due to the miles, you may want to stay with a premium dino oil. It will never hurt the trans.

Engine is questionable due to the miles, you may want to stay with a premium dino oil. It will never hurt the trans.
thankx Glider. You should know - and that's why folks like me ask the questions!!!
full syn in tranny - and still considering it in the engine.
I will check out the posts and polls here for a good dino oil recommendation.

Bill

Hey Glider, just curious but why would changing to full syn at higher miles be an issue? How could it hurt the engine? Thanks.

With an older engine, it's prone to some leaks and any buildup in the engine would be dislodged with the syn oils cleaning effectiveness possibly causing a problem.

thanks so much for all your help --- the Dealership changed out all the fluids prior to me purchasing the bike. I have only put about 250 miles on it. The oil looks nasty. I am about to talk myself into changing it soon!!! Should I go with a full syn - with no syn history to go by and 43K miles?

Bill

As Glider says, if there is a lot of foam, the oil pump vanes or something is "aerating" that oil and worse, it could "cavitate" so oil does not even pump thru, only air at times which is NOT normal.

I would change that oil out of there to fresh clean oil. May even want to go to the expense of the "complete" oil change kit method, just in case some oil additive or contamination is the cause...maybe even have a blown head gasket around an oil gallery passage... :34:

glider - I boiled the dipstick in water - I assume, about 212 degs. and the dipstick temp gage showed 210 degs. So, it appears to me that the dipstick gage is pretty accurate. At least close enough - which would tend to indicate my engine oil temps are running about 200 degrees. That day I rode, 2 up (wife) the ambient temp - south Louisiana - was about 70 degrees and I was riding between 40-60 mph - put a total of about 80 miles on with about 40 or so just before stopping at home and checking the oil levels. I think I just need to change out the engine oil and re-check it all over again - cold and hot.

It may be (and I hope so) that I just simply checked the oil too soon after stopping the bike at home. I killed the bike -- got off - looked around ~ 15 seconds for a shop towel - then checked the oil level. Basically, stopped the engine and immediately checked the oil level and couldn't get a good reading on the dipstick - looked inside and saw the foam.

Bill

Quite possible it is the oil itself causing the foaming. After you change the oil you should know it for sure being the dipstick is accurate. You don't have an oil cooler on this bike by any chance???
Who knows what they use when they service the bike being they usually buy it in bulk.

This is why I advocate doing the oil services yourself so you know what goes in to the bike and that the levels are correct too.

Quite possible it is the oil itself causing the foaming. After you change the oil you should know it for sure being the dipstick is accurate. You don't have an oil cooler on this bike by any chance???
Who knows what they use when they service the bike being they usually buy it in bulk.

This is why I advocate doing the oil services yourself so you know what goes in to the bike and that the levels are correct too.
sorry again -- just sitting here browsing around the forum reading posts.

I have NO oil cooler installed. You know - looking at the oil, they (the dealer) may not have even changed it out!

I was searching the forum for a good recommended dino oil to use.

Bill

That day I rode, 2 up (wife) the ambient temp - south Louisiana - was about 70 degrees and I was riding between 40-60 mph - put a total of about 80 miles on with about 40 or so just before stopping at home and checking the oil levels. I think I just need to change out the engine oil and re-check it all over again - cold and hot.

It may be (and I hope so) that I just simply checked the oil too soon after stopping the bike at home. I killed the bike -- got off - looked around ~ 15 seconds for a shop towel - then checked the oil level.
Bill

IF IT IS ON THE STICK AND NOT BELOW THE ADD ON STICK IT SHOULD BE OKAY....
sounds like a after market dipstick with temp gauge SO ACCURATE OIL LEVEL IS QUESTIONABLE...a lot of different gauges and and marks on after-market dips,,,,usually NOT CORRESPONDING with original dip stick markings...

IF oil was changed by dealer it should be close to full'''250 miles should NOT change level ....IF FULL BY DEALER
MY OPINION:::::::

too much EMPHASIZE FOR ME put on the TIME OF CHECKING....... after ride at a ?????????? 10 min later NOT A BIG DEAL...... OIL WON"T CHANGE LEVEL IN AN HOUR (unless draining from a soft tail tank) a whole other issue not to concern u here....... NOT IMPORTANT>>>>>>>>

IF foam in tank and a lot of it. I WOULD QUESTION IF THE OIL WAS CHANGED... PEROID......

Ask the dealer..... make sure it GOT CHANGED.....

all the above things said here by the mods. are good advice... BUT BUT BUT
DID YOU BUY FROM A DEALER OR WAS IT A PRIVATE SALE???

IF dealer ?
did they give you any type of warranty on the bike or JUST OUT THE DOOR.....

I agree with the ALL mentioned above by the MODS.THE miles on bike and the FOAM might be another problem ......

JUST A FACT.... 40+ 000 is a lot of miles..... this bike CAN give a lot more BUT like you described the oil as LOOKING NASTY......what do you mean by NASTY?

OIL

I would RUN THE ENGINE OIL THE OTHER OWNER(original?) USED TO GET THE 40+000 MILES ON IN THE FIRST PLACE....

ON NEXT CHANGE
I WOULD GO TO A SPECTRO PRIMARY AND SPECTRO GEAR FOR TRANNY.....

TAKE THE GOOD SUGGESTIONS n ADVICE FROM THE MODS HERE>>>>>>>
some times they DON"T come right out and advice but SUGGEST..... but I think YOU ARE ASKING for STRONG ADVICE AND SHOULD USE SUGGESTED ADVICE HERE.... THEY along with MANY on this site , have knowledge and usually get to the BOTTOM OF THINGS... so here's to A HAPPY BOTTOM....

hope my STRONG VIEWS are setting okay with you :::: it is JUST ME....

signed....BUBBIE

Billbo if you are going to stick with dino oil I would useH D 20/ 50 change it yourself change filter and recheck for foaming I think your bike holds 3 quarts of oil, Jack

Back