free website stats program Fly by wire throttle issue I encountered | Harley Davidson Forums

Fly by wire throttle issue I encountered

Frenchie

I want to explain a fly by wire issue I had traveling from Alabama to South Florida. I was about 300 miles from home when I had to slow down as as I was approaching a toll plaza I went to down shift and reduce my throttle and to my surprise the bike would not slow down below 55 miles per hour with my hand off the throttle. I had to pull into service plaza hot. I feathered the clutch and used my front brakes to slow bike down when I was lined up with fuel pumps I used the kill switch and handle bar controls to kill bike pulled in clutch and coasted to pump. I did ignition cycle reset and checked for codes and to my surprise there was no codes present. I gassed up bike and when I pulled out of plaza I had throttle control until I got to highway speed then throttle would lock and bike would not drop below 55 miles per hour. I had the ability to accelerate past 55 but every time I would to slow down it would not drop below 55 mph. I got bike home and trailered it to my bike shop. Hooked up bike to scanner and all checked out good on scanner. I removed left hand handlebar housing and inspected wires and found wires were damaged where they go over wire routing bracket on switch housing. I replaced left hand handlebar wire harness and bike now had good throttle response. I found that the cruise control will not engage until you are in third gear or higher and your speed is between 30 to 90 mph. So that is why I had throttle control at slower speeds but when bike was cruising throttle would lock due to cruise control wire shorting and the cruise indicator ligh nev

Good find.
As I was reading the symptoms I thought that it could be related to the cruise control system.

When I performed cruise control check light showed amber and then green when I applied front: rear brakes and also when I pulled clutch lever and did throttle forward roll checks.

Thanks for explaining how you managed the bike, hopefully it may help someone without the experience of others...this sounds like it could get someone in trouble really fast. ;) Glad you knew how to handle it.

Back