free website stats program fluids to be changed | Harley Davidson Forums

fluids to be changed

Fireguy

We all put a lot of $ and time into our bikes and I may over kill maintance but it's cheap insurance for our ride. SO besides the engine oil, the trans mission takes the same 20w-50 as the engine? and what about the primary chaincase? Do we change all 3 together or what.

I wouldn't use the same 20/50 as the engine but use a quality gear oil in the trans like spectro platinum or red line shockproof heavy. In the primary I found that the Formula + from the dealer works well.
I over maintain things as you do and I did the engine , trans and primary at the same time, usually at 2500 mile intervals on my bikes with synthetic oils. It's cheap insurance IMO and it's only one quart each in the trans and primary on most bikes except the new ones.

Thx for the info...but is it still a 20w-50 wieght gear oil?

Gear oil has a different rating system than engine oil. There are similarities as far as weight between say a 20/50 engine oil and 75/90 gear oil. The main difference is the properties in the gear oil and being better suited for use in a transmission than an engine oil where the shear of the gears will have an effect the oil used.
Engine oil in engines and gear oil in transmissions.
The viscosity is actually measured by different scales for engine oil and gear oil. The two systems aren’t directly comparable number for number. Here’s a basic comparison between the two systems.

SAE Engine Oil----- SAE Gear Oil

10w thru mid range of 20w = 75w Gear Oil

Mid 20w thru mid 30w = 80w Gear Oil

Mid 30w thru low 40w = 85w Gear Oil

Low 40w thru 50w = 90w Gear Oil

60w up = 140w Gear Oil

OK. Here is my two cents worth on fluids for the three major applications we have on our bikes (not including brake/hydraulic clutch fluid):

Engine: Amsoil SAE 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCV) - change at 6k miles, filter at 3k miles
SE 6-spd: Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed Transmission Oil - change at 12k miles (first time at 6k miles to see how it looks)
Primary: Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil - change at 12k miles (first at 6k miles to see how it looks)

References:

Amsoil: AMSOIL - SAE 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCV)
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf (white paper on MC engine oils)

Spectro Oils of America - Transmission Gear Oils - tranny

Spectro Oils of America - Transmission Gear Oils - primary

Results to-date:

Engine oil: looks very good, but has darkened up to look about like pancake syrup - 1850 miles
Primary: not opened up yet - 1450 miles
SE 6-spd: still clean red color (about like Big Red! - beautiful) - 1450 miles

Subjective:

Engine "seems" to have quieted down particularly rockers/top end. Changed to the Amsoil about 1850 ago. Prior to that, ran Mob1 VTwin for total of about 8000 miles (oil changes at about 4k miles). Prior to that used HD standard oil for 13,100 (oil changes at about 3k miles).

Changed out the OEM 5-spd to SE 6-speed about 2500 miles ago. Transmission shifting has most significant change. Extremely quiet with very little little "feel" when shifting up or down. This change happened AFTER changing to the Spectro oil. Prior to that change, I ran about 650 miles on Mob1 VTwin, then about 400 miles on Royal Purple 75W140 heavy duty gear oil. On both of these fluids, I could hear and feel the "clunk" when shifting. Not now.

My bike is an '03 UC with 68,000 total miles. Only major mods at this point are SE air filter, SE slip-on mufflers, SE 6-spd, Jagg 10-row oil cooler and an M6 primary chain tensioner.

TQ

i dont have the maintenance schedule book for my fxdx, can i use my old man's ultra's, just to have reference on oil change intervals...?

do we have to change oil in all 3 together? coz recently just changed the engine and primary oil, and the service guy said do the tranny @ nxt service...

the maintance schedule should be pretty much the same depending when it was built .. the newer bikes have longer change intervals.. my trans and primary call for once a year or 10k miles not that i go that long

The numbers I posted above I would consider the top of the change interval. I agree with Glider that you do NOT need to go that long between changes. I think his numbers 2,500-3,000 miles between change is a good objective. Change all three (appropriate fluid in each application) and the filter (HD as specified for your bike).

TQ

Back