free website stats program Fluid Change | Harley Davidson Forums

Fluid Change

YellowHawk

I just bought a used 2006 Dyna Super Glide a few months ago. Previously I had a 2003 Honda Shadow ACE. The HD had 1900 miles on it when I bought it. I will need to change the fluids soon I guess but I didn't get an owners manual with my bike. I only had to change one oil in my Honda. I have heard that on the Harley I have to change the fluid in the engine, primary and transmission? I don't know what the capacities are or what type of fluids to use. I would be greatful if someone could steer me in the right direction. I know I may not need to change them all right now, but the bike was serviced before I got it at a Suzuki / Yamaha dealer. I would like to change all the fluids just so I know what's in there.

I just bought a used 2006 Dyna Super Glide a few months ago. Previously I had a 2003 Honda Shadow ACE. The HD had 1900 miles on it when I bought it. I will need to change the fluids soon I guess but I didn't get an owners manual with my bike. I only had to change one oil in my Honda. I have heard that on the Harley I have to change the fluid in the engine, primary and transmission? I don't know what the capacities are or what type of fluids to use. I would be greatful if someone could steer me in the right direction. I know I may not need to change them all right now, but the bike was serviced before I got it at a Suzuki / Yamaha dealer. I would like to change all the fluids just so I know what's in there.

By all means get the owners/factory manual, but for now, I can get you in the area (because most all bikes vary a bit.)

The engine oil should be 3 quarts, start by filling it with 2 1/2 and add the rest to bring it up to full when hot. On the 06, not sure if that one is checked straight up or on the side stand they changed it so many times on different models. With the 3 quarts in there, you'll see which way the dipstick will be accurate so you will know here. It will either show "full" or not touch the stick.

The primary you drain and refill to the bottom of the clutch hub ( the silver part around the edge) standing the bike straight up. (usually less than a quart except for baggers)

The trans uses a quart checked straight up. Use the dipstick on the back of the fill plug to check it straight up, also use a gear oil in the trans, not an engine oil.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/oil_related_tips/1238-oil_suggestions_for_harleys.html

Last edited:
By all means get the owners/factory manual, but for now, I can get you in the area (because most all bikes vary a bit.)

The engine oil should be 3 quarts, start by filling it with 2 1/2 and add the rest to bring it up to full when hot. On the 06, not sure if that one is checked straight up or on the side stand they changed it so many times on different models. With the 3 quarts in there, you'll see which way the dipstick will be accurate so you will know here. It will either show "full" or not touch the stick.

The primary you drain and refill to the bottom of the clutch hub ( the silver part around the edge) standing the bike straight up. (usually less than a quart except for baggers)

The trans uses a quart checked straight up. Use the dipstick on the back of the fill plug to check it straight up, also use a gear oil in the trans, not an engine oil.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/oil_related_tips/1238-oil_suggestions_for_harleys.html
The 06 TC88 DYNA engine will only hold about 2 1/2quarts of oil with filter change, unless you have an oil cooler, if you do you will have to pull the bottom line to it lose and drain the cooler or you'll leave 1/2 qt of dirty oil in it ( Engine oil level to be checked with bike resting on the jiffy stand) DO NOT USE SYN3 OIL!!
The primary on the 06's are right at 1qt - 32oz, checked with the bike setting straight up and level, to the bottom of the clutch hub. DO NOT USE SYN3 OIL!!
The Transmission holds 1qt - 32oz of THE BEST GEAR OIL you can find, DO NOT USE SYN 3 OR ANY OTHER ENGINE OIL, Spectro platinum 6-Speed 75w140 is the best I've found, Mobil 1 GEAR OIL 75w90 or 75w140 are also good.

Last edited:
Someone on here suggested using it to start fires with so I tried it but the smell is horrible and the EPA wrote me a ticket for causing global warming
:lolrolling

The 06 TC88 DYNA engine will only hold about 2 1/2quarts of oil with filter change, unless you have an oil cooler, if you do you will have to pull the bottom line to it lose and drain the cooler or you'll leave 1/2 qt of dirty oil in it ( Engine oil level to be checked with bike resting on the jiffy stand) DO NOT USE SYN3 OIL!!
The primary on the 06's are right at 1qt - 32oz, checked with the bike setting straight up and level, to the bottom of the clutch hub. DO NOT USE SYN3 OIL!!
The Transmission holds 1qt - 32oz of THE BEST GEAR OIL you can find, DO NOT USE SYN 3 OR ANY OTHER ENGINE OIL, Spectro platinum 6-Speed 75w140 is the best I've found, Mobil 1 GEAR OIL 75w90 or 75w140 are also good.

Why not SYN3 oil? I'm not arguing here, I just don't know. What oil do you recommend? Also, at the risk of looking very ignorant, what's the jiffy stand? ....my whole problem right now is the bike was last serviced, before I got it, at a Yamaha dealer so I don't know what's in there. I don't have the service manual yet so I don't even know the correct procedure to change the oil in all three holes.

Why not SYN3 oil? I'm not arguing here, I just don't know. What oil do you recommend? Also, at the risk of looking very ignorant, what's the jiffy stand? ....my whole problem right now is the bike was last serviced, before I got it, at a Yamaha dealer so I don't know what's in there. I don't have the service manual yet so I don't even know the correct procedure to change the oil in all three holes.

Syn 3 is not a true synthetic but a group 3 oil. Good synthetics are group 4 and 5. It's barely more than dino oil. Kind of like the bottom of the barrel as far as synthetics go.

The jiffy stand is the kickstand.:s

Any major brand (synthetic preferred ) is good. Mobil 1,royal purple, redline and many others.

My recommendations are Mobil 1 20/50 synthetic in the engine, spectro platinum or redline in the trans and just about any oil in the primary in the 10/40 or 20/50 range without friction modifiers, need not be synthetic, the HD formula+ works well in there.

Take a look here.

Last edited:
Back