free website stats program Fitting A Gel Seat Pad | Harley Davidson Forums

Fitting A Gel Seat Pad

glider.

BOT Machine
Posted by Fin 676...

After a couple of hours riding i get a bit of pain in the tail bone so i finally decided to do something about it.
I do like the look of my stock seat and didn't like the idea of using a seat pad that goes over the seat, so i bought a suitable gel pad for fitting internally in my seat.
First thing i did was strip the seat cover off ensuring all remnants of the original staples were removed and stripped the smoothing foam off the main foam pad.

I sat the gel pad on the seat foam and marked around it...
fin_676-albums-seat-picture6903-dscf0060_medium.jpg

I then cut slits in the marked area at the approximate depth of the pad...
fin_676-albums-seat-picture6905-dscf0062_medium.jpg

It was then easy to remove the slits of foam until the pad fitted correctly...
fin_676-albums-seat-picture6907-dscf0064_medium.jpg

I then used a spray on glue to hold the pad in place more glue and re fitted the smoothing foam...
fin_676-albums-seat-picture6908-dscf0065_medium.jpg

I then put the seat cover over the foam and using a thin length of old coat hanger looped the string for the buttons over the end of the metal and held in place with a wee bit of tape and pushed it through in the appropriate place...
fin_676-albums-seat-picture6909-dscf0066_medium.jpg

Fitted the loop of string into the new seat buttons and secured with new parts on the underside of the seat foam...
fin_676-albums-seat-picture6910-dscf0067_medium.jpg

Fitted the foam with attached cover back on to the seat base making sure I was using the original line for the staples...
fin_676-albums-seat-picture6911-dscf0068_medium.jpg

Finished seat.
fin_676-albums-seat-picture6912-dscf0069_medium.jpg

A wet and windy Sunday afternoon taken care of and only time will tell if it was time well spent.

Back