free website stats program First Time | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

First Time

I have my bike on the side stand and drill a hole top and bottom of the end of the filter top to let air in bottom to let oil out and drain the filter that way
However i still need a catch rag for the oil that comes out where the filter fits to the bike

Brian

Thanks again guys, waiting for HD to open and heading out to get all the stuff, the rag under the filter is a great idea, I'd rather try to keep it clean than clean it up. Thanks all.

Hey it is just a little oil. I for one clean that Regulator spotless I just don't want any heat related issues. Get er done for God....I'm not far behind you.

Well got er done over the weekend, here's the story, so laugh and pick on me if you want, I can take it!

Draining oil, no problems, the o ring was shredded so good thing I bought one, used a kitty litter pan for draining.

Oil filter, wow It was on so tight, I thought it would never come off, but managed to. Used a small strap wrench, it was a tight fit. Has anyone used the HD filter wrench and is it worth it? Some oil did get on the loose but per suggestions from ya'll I placed strategic rags and towels on the floor and below, the mess wasn't too bad. I fabricated a drain piece from a 1/2 gal bleach bottle which caught most of it. Anyone use the HD drain, does it work?

All in all not so bad except I forgot to have a cold one before getting started, had a few after:D

Well got er done over the weekend, here's the story, so laugh and pick on me if you want, I can take it!

Draining oil, no problems, the o ring was shredded so good thing I bought one, used a kitty litter pan for draining.

Oil filter, wow It was on so tight, I thought it would never come off, but managed to. Used a small strap wrench, it was a tight fit. Has anyone used the HD filter wrench and is it worth it? Some oil did get on the loose but per suggestions from ya'll I placed strategic rags and towels on the floor and below, the mess wasn't too bad. I fabricated a drain piece from a 1/2 gal bleach bottle which caught most of it. Anyone use the HD drain, does it work?

All in all not so bad except I forgot to have a cold one before getting started, had a few after:D

Good for you Gator. Just imagine how much easier the next time wil be...:s
Now you need to change the other 2 oils. I use a wrench from Eglidegoodies. One side for the oil filter and the other is for the drain plug. Excellent idea getting new oring for plug. Always a good idea to change every time....:s

Did you set the new oil filter Upright and fill Once with oil to (not over) the threads?

I fashion a piece of 3" wide 8"long cardboard to use as the spillway under the filter. Nothing fancy there and it works. Wipe it off and re-use several times.

Remember how tight that Old filter was.... Never tighten but Hand Tight by 1 full turn after contact.. No big muscle needed to put on. They always tighten and are hard to get off.

The Paper or shop cloth towel under the filter area (stuffed in that Void) ? did it help?

How did you get the Dropped oil plug out of the drain pan cause it was HOT....

I use a Magnet just for that purpose. Burned toooooo many times trying to hang on to that plug...

DID you find any metal on that magnet plug end from the engine oil?

Not unusual for a little on a new motor. Next change there should be NO metal at all...

The tranny should be Metal free also. (that Klunk does produce some)
That is Why I use shockproof heavy in there by Redline

Now the Primary is a different story; always some or even a lot of Goop there. BUT no large metal pieces is the Normal.

Good for you on the oil change....:ap

Everybody has their OWN way to do one and you will find out the hard way which one is best for you.:newsmile100:

signed....BUBBIE

Hey BUBBIE

I did fill the filter on suggestion from a tech at HD, to get oil up in the top faster.

Didn't think of cardboard, good idea.

Used a shop paper towel, it worked good

didn't find any metal anywhere, waited for oil to cool before I went fishing for the plug, stood bike up on a block of wood to drain most of the oil.

Will do the trans and primary in another 10K.

I will wait until after the job is done for a cold one, thanks to everyone for their suggestions and slaps on the back. Cheers!!

Back