free website stats program First time....loud back fire | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

First time....loud back fire

Any loss in power seemed negligible. I'm sure there was some, but as it (the loud backfire noise) wasn't expected, it startled me and I quickly let up on the throttle to try to determine what if anything was wrong.

I might add the stretch of road I was on was flat with an constant throttle position, under load but not accelerating when it occurred.

Do you have a cover on your coil? I have seen the plug wires arc on them

You probably don't have any but I would perform a WOW test just to see if by chance any codes hit the error log.

Jack -

Coil is stock and never been replaced so it and any cover is as it came from the factory.

Your thought about arc'ing is another reason to go ahead and replace the original spark plug wires.

Results of checking for codes are in:

P=none
S=none
SP=none
t=none

Ride home was completely normal. Same route and speeds. Only difference is it was 90 degrees instead of 73.

I'll pickup and install some new plug wires and spark plugs Friday. Top off the tank with Shell 92 octane, add 2 ounces of Marvel Mystery oil and call it good.

Thanks for everyones input.

Results of checking for codes are in:

P=none
S=none
SP=none
t=none

Ride home was completely normal. Same route and speeds. Only difference is it was 90 degrees instead of 73.

I'll pickup and install some new plug wires and spark plugs Friday. Top off the tank with Shell 92 octane, add 2 ounces of Marvel Mystery oil and call it good.

Thanks for everyones input.

Clean the sockets in the coil before you install the new wires, a dab of silicone grease on the wires, a dab on the insulator of the plug to insure a moisture free connection:s

Ok, first the base information:
2007 FLSTC
All stock except stage 1 air filter
No fueler
45,000+ miles.

Starts and runs great.

Never have had an inclining of a problem until on the way to work today:

Cool morning, 73 degrees.
Cruising along at 70MPH in 6th when I heard 3 loud quick consecutive backfires.
Did not lose power.
I did slow down and move over to the right lane and down shifted into 5th.
Now cruising at 60MPH, waiting for a light or anything else to indicate a problem.
No warning lights.
Backfired in 5th one time.
Rode a couple miles then accelerated back up to 65-70MPH and shifted back into 6th.
No problems rest of way to work.
Even idled normal upon exiting highway.

Hmmmmm? Thoughts?

I was always told that if you add a hi flow air cleaner, you have to add a fueler, or else you're making the mixture even leaner than from the factory. Was I misinformed??? Not sure if that has anything to do with your problem, but if it's been on there for a while, then it probably has nothing to do with it. You might have gotten a little piece of trash stuck in the fuel lines somewhere and it blew on through. If it doesn't happen anymore, I wouldn't worry about it.

Back