free website stats program First Ride in 2011...Not so Good NEED HELP! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

First Ride in 2011...Not so Good NEED HELP!

Gotta like those simple fixes. After reading your listed codes, my first thought was either some of the pins were loose in one of the harnesses, or loose battery cable...wiring can be a bugger to troubleshoot. Way to stick with it.

You know that darn loose battery cable has burned me several times on both bikes. Now make it a point to check about every other ride. Also bought a little longer screws and added a lock washer, no problems since. Glad you got it worked out.

Good advice on the lock washer and longer screws I think I will be picking those up this weekend. They definitely need something more in there.

I went out to go rerun my electrical diagnostics and noticed I never properly tightened the screws to the battery. It took me longer to write my initial post then to fix the problem. Boy I feel like an idiot.
WAP.gif

I really appreciate it when someone "fesses" up to a simple oversight. It adds to the knowledge base for the rest of us. And we ALL make those blunders. :bigsmiley12:

Well...I spoke to soon. Did not want to say anthing earlier cause I wanted to give it another check. On my 40 mile ride in this morning half way through it started doing it again. Just got back from looking at it and the battery bolts are well connected, nothing out of the ordinary this time. I have to go out again and see if it dropped any trouble codes, but never saw the check engine light come on, but we'll see. Right before anything happens the headlight dims and the fuel guage goes crazy, sometimes that is all it does, other times it practically stalls and starts again.

Next step, sea foam and a good ride close to the house. Right now I am at work and need to get it home, no trailor so it is a ride, based on my experience it should be similiar, once it warms up is when the trouble starts.

Check and clean all the grounds, when metal/copper touches aluminum it oxidizes a lot faster then most metals (electrolesis, spelling check)

Have you load tested that battery? Could have a shorted cell

Not sure how to do a load test but have tested the volts on the battery which was all standard.

To be honest I am guessing it has to be the fuel at this point. Just rode home 40 miles with no issue. It sat outside at work all day after my issues this morning. I checked all the connections at lunch and ran the codes. I braced for the worst coming home, but thankfully it was a smooth enjoyable ride.
WAP.gif

Back