free website stats program First Harley Davidson - First Motorcycle | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

First Harley Davidson - First Motorcycle

remember bikes are addictive and they become more of you each time you give her some loving "most people state work on, repair or upgrade options" so just try and make sure that you think hard about what type of riding you plan on "long trips on open highways you should go with a dresser of some sort with all the comfort features, short burst around town or everyday rider to work would be any type of a Road King, Street glide and etc, just to bike nights & bars and etc riding 2 up maybe a Dyna, Softail and etc and if you are worried about weight riding 1 up and just wanting to get out as low as you can The Sportster would probably be a good choice" so size and weight of you and passenger also plays a great deal in deciding as anyone can ride any bike but ride one that you feel comfortable with and enjoy just being in the wind, and remember their is no shame in starting off small and moving up as you feel the need as everyone has started on about everything and in one way or another & later have found just what they were looking for

I am looking at buying my first Harley and was wondering which model to look at. This will be my first motorcycle experience as well.

I am looking for something I can ride with the wife on the back and cruise a few hours to the coast. A friend of mine recommended I look at softails with a 1000CC or better. I like what I see but I wanted to see what everyone else recommends.

What other consideration go into picking the right model? Height, weight?

Thanks in advance.

Just get a Road King!!! Of course, I *might* be biased! Hahaha. :)

If this is your FIRST bike ever... two options:
  1. if you want to learn riding by yourself, DON'T buy a Harley, buy a lighter and smaller bike instead, not too sporty or the passenger will seat unconfortably.
  2. if you can attend a riding course, then you can go straight to a Harley. In this case I'd suggest a Dyna Super Glide because it's good for two, it's confortable, has an ordinary position for riding, can approach curves fairly well and it's already a BIG Harley, but not that BIG in cost :s.
After some time you can choose to change, if you want.

My opinion

Ciao and good luck
Ugo

I am also new to riding. I had a few small Jap bikes when I was a kid but that was close to 40 years ago. I picked a Road King Classic because I have always liked the classic style and also wanted to do some short distance touring with my wife. It has progressed to the point that we are leaving tomorrow for a week long trip. So get what looks good to you and is comfortable for you.

The most important suggestion I can make is that you sign up for a riders safety class. I am in Michigan and the state offers a class, but I had heard that private classes are better. With smaller groups and more attention. I took a private class with a group of about 15. I learned a lot and had a great time. We did a lot of riding on small bikes and it really helped prepare me for the Road King.

Have a great time with whatever bike you choose but above all, ride safe!

I'm with you on the Heritage. Nice low center to plant feel firmly on the ground, very well balanced etc.

I don't suggest a bagger for a first bike tho but to each their own.

If you have absolutly no experience riding a motorcycle.
Go pick up a dirt bike and learn how to ride a motorcycle in the dirt. the experience you will get riding on wet sloppy grooved rutted hilly terrain will teach you how to ride a motorcycle in the worst possible conditions..there is no possible way you should jump on any street bike and learn how to ride in traffic.The schools that teach you how to ride are nice but do yourself and your wife a big favor and learn the right way. its CHEAPER and SAFER good luck.

Back