free website stats program First Colored TV | Harley Davidson Forums

First Colored TV

liquid_wrench

I remember when we got our first Colored tv set.....It was 1975 ( I was 13) and it was a Sylvania with the push button 25" screen. What year did you get your first colored tv? You have to be a little older to remember black & white television.....lol

I think it was sometime around 69,70 it was a Zenith cause my dad thought they were best. We had an old b&w when we lived on Guam in the mid 50's but it didn't matter because the only station then was the Armed Forces Channel so we hardly ever watched it

1970 or 71. It was also a Zenith console TV. In 67 my dad came home with this plastic screen cover that was supposed to make our B&W TV show colors. All it did was give everything a green/blue pallor.

I don’t recall the 1st color tv but I do remember the b/w tv we had. I remember every once in a while the tv repair man coming out to de-magmatize the tv with what looked like a minature holahoop. He’d make a circular motion on both sides of the tv box with the hoop, what it did for sure who knows.

October 81 just back from an operational tour of Belize i had lent my b&w portable to my mates wife for the duration of the tour met him at the airport and he told me it blew up a few weeks earlier
As the RAF VC 10 started approach to edinburgh airport the captain announce the front undercarrige wont come down we were to divert to brize norton as that raf base had better facilities for foaming runway however flight engineer climbed through a hatch and battered something with a hammer and front wheel went down we landed ok
Our camp was 15 miles away once through customs back to camp staright to mess and got really drunk slept on the floor that night
Next day got bedding and a lift to nearest town and bought a 13" hiatchi colour portable tv put it to the recycling center about 11 years ago when the analogue signal was switched off in our area and it was no longer of any use
My parents had colour tv before that but this was my story

Brian

I remember when my father bought a new TV set in 1980. I was a kid and didn't even know there were color TVs. The first time we turned it on, I felt really happy. Finally, I could watch anything I wanted in color. I didn't even care that it had five channels. You can't surprise anyone with a color TV these days.

Must have been around '65 for me. I can remember when I was about 6 yrs old in '59 one neighbor got the 1st one any of us had seen. They opened their curtains on their living room picture window so all the kids outside could see it. The lawn was full. But then again, I remember a crank phone on the wall....

I remember when my father bought a new TV set in 1980. I was a kid and didn't even know there were color TVs. The first time we turned it on, I felt really happy. Finally, I could watch anything I wanted in color. I didn't even care that it had five channels. You can't surprise anyone with a color TV these days.
They're even much lighter and thinner now. My family switched to online (REMOVED LINK), and I advise you to do the same. It's as convenient and beautiful as watching programs on the Internet. Eh, how I miss the color TV from my childhood.

Edit by SledDog

Last edited by a moderator:
Back