free website stats program First Bike - First Ride | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

First Bike - First Ride

My first riding experience was when I was 6. My Dad had a Honda CB 350 and my mom wanted her own ride so Dad bought her a Honda Express 80 to learn on. This thing was a step through mo-ped type of thing that was an automatic, and had a pedal starter, that you had to pump I forget how many times and hit a release on the handlebars to start. My parents let me ride that thing around our property until one time, I wrecked it against the house, no knobbies on it, long story... So, they bought me a Honda XR 75 that I rode the wheels off of. I had that little bike for a few years until we moved to the city where I had no where "legal" to ride it, so my Dad had to sell it to keep me out of "jail". I pretty much didn't have anything to ride from that point until I came out of the Army in the late 80's. Since then I have never gone more than a year without having something to ride, always HD for street use and usually a dirt bike as well. I have an 09 FLHTC and an 03 Suzuki RM 250 now. It seems for many of us the seed was planted very early and has continued to blossom growing many into folks that would rather ride a scooter than drive a car.

When i was a wee lad family transport was a triumph 500 with a sidecar dad at the controls mum behind 3 kids and the dog in the sidecar if dad was working mum was at the controls
older brother got a francis barnet 150 as soon as he was old enough followed by an ariel arrow 250
as i went into the army 3 days after 15th birthday was unable to get started on a bike untill i was 18 and that was a cz 125 and the story of me and bikes goes on

Brian

Somewhere around when I was 13 my first bike was a Harley Davidson 50CC 2 stroke 3 speed with a clutch and gearshift on the left handle bar was a twist like some old 3 speed bicycles top speed 45 mph was great till the crash!

First ride was a KZ125, up in the TX hill country, loved jumping it and going like crazy in the fields. Bought a 360 yammy when I lived in MS, great bike for just about anything around town and off-road. A lapse of 25+ years before the first HD a sporty and now the softy.

I found a pic of what our Rupp looked like - it was one of the best gifts our dad bought when we were little. Would be cool finding one to restore...

Attachments

• Rupp.jpg
    Rupp.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 6
My first bike was a Sears 106 when I was 16. Anyone remember those? The local Sears store was selling them for 200 bucks. Me and 3 other friends went down and bought 4 of them. Boy did we ever have a great summer that year.

Back