free website stats program fine scratches | Harley Davidson Forums

fine scratches

lowrider13

I recently had a new cutom tank installed. I noticed yesterday there are very fine scratches on top of tank. It drives me nuts. The color is vivid black, bone keeper from hd. What would be a good scratch remover?

A fine polishing compound would probably remove them. It they are fine enough, try a liquid wax , most have a cleaner in them that when drying give a polishing effect also when buffed.

There are some good polishes/scratch removers you can find at auto parts stores. HD even has one that works well. I have had good luck with the HD product on my Vivid Black Wide Glide.....

I have used Turtle Wax Polishing compound with a power buffer wax applying pad. This can remove those fine scratches. Any good cream wax to protect and hide very fine scratches (wax alone will not remove scratches but hide them only). And I really like Mothers California Gold Showtime detailer for fingerprints and very fine dust removal. This gives a mirror finish.
Be sure you never use a cloth that isn't 100% soft cotton. Make sure cloth is clean. Use one cloth to wipe wet wax or wet detailer and a clean dry cloth to buff.
This area of my tank got pretty scratched up removing my old tank badge. I polished, and detailed. It now looks perfect.
cutankbadge.jpg

Or take to your local favorite body shop.It should not take them long to hit it with a buffer and polish it back up.I myself have burned through paint before useing a buffer so I now leave it to the pro's.Good luck!!

I say keep it clean for maintenance reasons like finding leaks, loose parts or wheel/tire issues. Those scratchs are just evidence you actually ride the thing. It's called character, I can buy a brand new bike if I want one with no scratches..

Just be careful using rubbing compound, it usually requires a polishing compound afterwards to remove the scratched done by the rubbing compound. Much easier to start with a fine product and work up as needed.

I have a Vivid Black Road King. I'm very particular how it looks...and I do show it ,but also ride it. Bought it in 04 new, and now have over 45,000 miles on it and believe me its has gotten it share of fine scratches. I tryed lots of stuff...Rubbing compound...good stuff...HD scratch and swirl remover...also for me did ok..but Seems the best product I've found bar none is Novus Fine Scratch Remover. Follow directions...and also the best detailer I've found is called Purple Slice...shine that you can't believe...its knocked soooo much time off my clean up. I would never recommend any product to anyone without me trying it first. Also the folks on this site recommend stuff they use as well. So no matter what you choose you can rest assured the product are good.

I just tried some zymol. It seemed to take 99% of the swirls out. I see better if the sun will ever shine here.

Back