free website stats program Finding neutral on 2009 883L | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Finding neutral on 2009 883L

Jeremy - welcome to the forum, I'm relatively new here as well and have found everyone most helpful.

About shifting and finding neutral - can I suggest a non-mechanical idea?

Try it just sitting in your garage without the engine running but ignition on so you can see the green N when it goes into neutral AND wear a pair of lighter shoes so you can feel better - don't ride with them, but just get the feel for the shift with them on, then switch to your riding footwear

I have the hardest time shifting when wearing a steel toed work boot - the boot is too thick and there is very little feel to shifting with them on.

steve

I've got an '09 883L myself and I will say that I seem to have gotten better at it after a month or two. I bought mine brand new with 1 mile on it and have been a little embarrassed that I've been having this problem as well.

I will just echo what's been said here. Usually rolling it forwards or backwards an inch or two helps. It may be in my head, but if I'm decelerating it's either impossible or quite simple - just hit or miss.

Good luck!

Hi all,
Thank you so much for the advices and warm welcome!

Per agreement with the seller, we took the bike to a local HD dealer for them to check it out, performed the 1K service (the bike is 1400 miles), and I also requested them to check this issue out.

They told me that the belt is a tad too tight, so they adjust it and also adjust the clutch, and now it seems smoother and easier. I'm still hoping that getting used to the bike will take care of this!
Thanks again.

on my 2006 883, I find its a lot faster from me to find neutral going down, is by actually going down to 1, then back up. It's pretty easy on my bike to find it going up, but going down, tends to be tougher, so I don't know if its good or not, but instinctively go down to 1 just to come back up to neutral.

Actually not a bad thing, sometimes I find it easier to "bump it into first" and then pull up gently to neutral...as it is a "touch" thing one does unconsciously. Also, as the saying goes when doing a Hollywood stop...it is easier to stay in 1st till the last possible second if you do not want to put your foot down and do a standup pause prior to moving forward (with car along side protecting you when going through an intersection).

Last edited:
Back