free website stats program Finally hid the electric wires in my handlebars | Harley Davidson Forums

Finally hid the electric wires in my handlebars

Dan.1977P

I know it's not really a big deal but this was the first thing I did to the Fatty that required some effort. Cut some holes, ground them as smooth as I could and fed some wires. What do folks do about grommets where the wires make contact with the bar and cover where they drop down into the tree?

Also moved the signal wires that the previous owner routed under the fork cover, up the tree and then back down through the hole to the harness under the tank. I think when he moved the signals off the bars to the fork to put the batwing on, he was too lazy or incompetent to pull the pins from the connector and route properly.

Once I get a seat I like, I'll see about different risers or bars and then I can get some steel braided lines for the throttle and clutch at better lengths.

Attachments

• IMG_1885[1].jpg
    IMG_1885[1].jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 38
Good job, any good hardware or parts store should have a good selection of grommets that will work for you. Good luck.

So, I went down to the garage during lunch (one of the joys of working from home) to take some measurements for that stuff and ended up moving my horn! :) It's neatly tucked away on the rear splash guard like a lot of folks have done opening the cowbell for the coil or if I get a wild hair up my butt, I'll mess around with mounting a suicide shift on that bolt.
Never did take any measurements...

I had an irregular oval in my bars after running the wires through. I bought an approximate size oval grommet from the home supply store and cut it. I used weather stripping adhesive in the groove, and inserted it around my cut. Snipped off the excess and never worried about it again. Several years later when changing risers, the grommet was still doing the job, BUT I had cracks running out from both sides of the hole. Keep an eye out for this.

P.S. Your bars look nice and clean!

You could always wrap the wiring where it comes through the gaps in Spiral Wrap(also known as "spaghetti").

It's often used by Electricians to safely wrap/tie/bind groups of cable together and provide excellent mechanical protection.

Back