free website stats program Filter | Harley Davidson Forums

Filter

chuck60

The 09 road king I just bought has a stage 1, are the round filters reusable, and if so, how do you clean them and do you have to spray them.

Thanks, Charlie

The 09 road king I just bought has a stage 1, are the round filters reusable, and if so, how do you clean them and do you have to spray them.
Thanks, Charlie

If you have a Harley filter like the SE model, they are washable with warm, soapy water.
Do not spray the Harley filter with an oil.

That is for the K&N filter and a different animal.

The video (must be an old one) was misleading as he said the filters would crumble if washed. The SE filters don't. They are washable.

If you have a K&N filter, it should have the name on it, then you can wash and oil.
K&N only.

I have the SE air filter and I wash and dry, then reuse.

For the SE filter, I use the K&N cleaner to dissolve the dirt, then gently run water from clean side to dirty side to rinse everything away, then let dry naturally.

Gusotto. O no, I just cleaned my filter with the K % N kit, ie, oiled it. I have a round filter that I thought was a K&N filter. I thought something was a miss , as the filter had no markings of manufactuer on it. So it must be the SE filter. So is the SE filter i applied oil to need to be replaced, or can I degrease it , wash it in soapy water , let it dry , and all is ok ??? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Gusotto. O no, I just cleaned my filter with the K % N kit, ie, oiled it. I have a round filter that I thought was a K&N filter. I thought something was a miss , as the filter had no markings of manufactuer on it. So it must be the SE filter. So is the SE filter i applied oil to need to be replaced, or can I degrease it , wash it in soapy water , let it dry , and all is ok ??? Thanks
The instructions in my Harley SE A/C kit stated it did not need to be oiled.
Caught me by surprise because I have a K&N on my Sportster and was expecting a need to oil.

One less thing to oil.....

I went out and checked my filter (I was going to clean it anyway) and it has the H-D bar and shield stamped on the metal housing with message
"For H-D Twin Cam Covers Only"
"Dry filter"
"Do not oil"

I'd guess if it doesn't have anything marked on the filter, you might not have a Harley filter.(They love to put their name on everything).

Back