free website stats program Fender Bent During Hard Braking | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fender Bent During Hard Braking

Well, here's the whole story.

First, the reason I didn't get a recall from MOCO (or our local dealer who does make calls when a bike they sold is affected) is because my VIN was not covered by the recall.

The problem was not the recall problem. The problem was caused by my installing a chrome cover on the voltage regulator. The part was listed as fitting '02 - '06 models (mine is an '07); but, it bolts on just fine. Turns out the it's not the thickness of the cover that is the issue. It is the vertical height which interferes with the fender during hard braking. I was listening to the conversation between the dealer and MOCO and the first question MOCO asked was whether the bike had the chrome cover on the VR. My only beef is that you would think MOCO would put a warning in the parts catalog.

Not trying to be a smart aleck but....the part was listed as fitting 02 - 06 models. That "was" your warning. If you apply parts that are not listed as being made for your model and year(s), you do so at your own peril.

Sorry to hear about it though. Lesson learned the hard way and not completely out of the realm of something I might do myself, without thinking about it.

Sharky,

Without photos illustrating the exact problem, I would still think that it would be prudent for you guys to check the preload on your neck bearings and the fall-away. Having that much forward/backward flex on the front fork under hard braking seems excessive. I think the problem also has something to do with how much "plowing" or "nose diving" the front end does under these conditions. That might suggest that you check/change the fork fluid, too.

TQ

Back