free website stats program Extended Warranties | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Extended Warranties

I bought the extended warranty for my '07 Ultra.
Not Harley warrenty.
Going to run out in December but my compensator is getting noisy and sometimes doesn't want to charge over 11 volts.
Called and they said fix it and i only have to pay $50.
Deal for me!

I bought the extended warranty for my '07 Ultra. Not Harley warrenty.
Going to run out in December but my compensator is getting noisy and sometimes doesn't want to charge over 11 volts.
Called and they said fix it and i only have to pay $50. Deal for me!

Good luck. Let us know that works our for you when the smoke clears.;)

Dolt. I followed a similar logic if you can do that it hindsight. The 2014 Electra I bought had 10K miles on it and, as it turns out, it came to the venerable HD dealer via some used car lot in (EDIT), so who knows how it's been treated. They werent very forthcoming with records or details and I was stupid to buy it knowing as little as I did. At my ripe old age, I've bought dozens of new and used cars and pretty well know the drill. I guess I was starstruck when I saw the HD and naiively thought a Harley dealership had higher standards than a used car lot. I wont be going back to Renton, WA to buy a Harley, I can say for sure. I think everything's OK but I added the 3yr HD warranty at the last minute thinking, as you suggested, I'll ride it for a while to make sure everything's OK, then cash out the warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on my third HD & I would not own one without a warranty. First two used up more repair funds than warranty cost & this 3rd one has already used over half of the cost which included tire/wheel warranty. It's now in the dealership with stator & voltage regulator changed but now has another engine light accompnied by loss of throttle control . The dealer has NO idea at this point what is wrong! If you're going to keep the bike over two years I highly recommend an extended warranty!!

Bought HD extended warranty on:
- my '06 Ultra (purchased in '05) - recouped over 10 times what I paid for the warranty - mostly from flywheel/connecting rods failure at 75k miles that required an engine rebuild. Various other issues over the years including a stator and voltage regulator on the road in SD. Sold the bike in '13 with 130K on it when the warranty ran out and couldn't renew it because of the mileage on the bike.

- my wife's '04 Fatboy - with wheel & tire coverage, recouped 2 times of cost. Had both tires pick up nails thru a construction zone - a month later, another nail in the new rear tire - the covered tires alone were nearly half the cost of the warranty. Also covered an engine rebuild when a cam bearing failed at 85k. Bike currently has 108,000 on it. No warranty anymore - max warranty is 12 years.

- my current '11 Limited - bought bike used in '13 with 10k on it and had HD ext warranty with wheel & tire transferred. Now has 60k. So far - not much done by warranty, but nice to have when they tell me the rocker boxes are leaking - $50 is my cost to repair; or they find a nail in the tire (zero deductible on wheel & tire). I will be renewing for the additional 5 years allowed.

The thing to remember - it's called an extended warranty - what it really is, is an insurance policy covering repairs. Like almost any other insurance, it's risk management and can provide peace of mind knowing your exposure is limited. Each person has a different tolerance for risk.

Also a huge factor in this specific market is how much you ride, how you ride and how long you keep a bike. Someone like Harttoo (see post #4) who trades off frequently, maybe not so much value in an extended warranty because he doesn't keep the bike for an extended period of time. Someone like me - I keep my bike a long time and put a lot of miles on (relatively speaking) - increases the risk, so to me an extended warranty has value.

Finally - the HD extended warranty can be transferred with the sale of the bike, when sold to a private party (i.e. not when traded to a dealer). A tool to facilitate the sale, maybe.

JMHO - FWIW

edit - wow, sorry for the length...

If buying and extended warranty, best go with the HD offering.;)
If you're going to keep the bike after the two year factory warranty that's given here in Canada....renew/buy the extra 5 years from HD BEFORE the two years is up, I did, and like others said, it's paid for itself 3 times over,get the tire warranty too! may I suggest from experience

I bought my 2013 Electraglide Classic new and purchased the extended warranty to push it out to 5 years, I included the tire protection plan with it. Best $$$ I've ever spent. It comes up for renewal in May 2018, if I decide to not by a new 2018 model at the end of the production year I will renew the warranty.

Back