free website stats program Extended Oil Pan | Harley Davidson Forums

Extended Oil Pan

HDDon

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I was just reading on another thread about oil coolers and Jack brought up the fact that when you install an oil cooler you get a little more oil in the system and that can't be a bad thing. I got me thinking about the Baker extended oil pan (1.5 qt. extra) and if it's worth the expense. Has anyone installed one of these or one of the SE pans? If so did you notice a change (cooler) in the oil temp? Are there any drawbacks to installing one, like does it hang down below the frame?

I don't have either but my guess is the oil temperature would be the same. It might take a little longer to get up to temperature but ridden long enough, I think the temperature would even out.

Granted there may be some cooling effect from the deeper pan but I don't think volume alone would change the overall temperature.

Just my opinion.

I was just reading on another thread about oil coolers and Jack brought up the fact that when you install an oil cooler you get a little more oil in the system and that can't be a bad thing. I got me thinking about the Baker extended oil pan (1.5 qt. extra) and if it's worth the expense. Has anyone installed one of these or one of the SE pans? If so did you notice a change (cooler) in the oil temp? Are there any drawbacks to installing one, like does it hang down below the frame?

I don't have either but my guess is the oil temperature would be the same. It might take a little longer to get up to temperature but ridden long enough, I think the temperature would even out.

Granted there may be some cooling effect from the deeper pan but I don't think volume alone would change the overall temperature.

Just my opinion.
Good question Don So BAKER's +1.5 quart oil pan was designed to lower engine oil temperature by using a ... The +1.5 is 8.053″ wide, which is about 2 3/8″ wider than stock. Here are the specs on the Baker pan, looks like it is wider, in respect to more oil The Screaming Eagle pan claims the oil lays in the pan longer for more cooling? Acting more like a heat sink? The Baker pan I believe has the feed and return pipes more separated for better heat transfer

Back