free website stats program Extended HD Service Plan? | Harley Davidson Forums

Extended HD Service Plan?

waterdog

Hey y'all,

I'm about ready to finalize the deal on a 2007 Hertiage Classic and the Dealer brings up the Extended Service Plan (Extended Warranty) for up to 5 years. Normaly I make it a policy to NOT purchase extended warranties on items, and have rarely gotten burned too bad.

BUT, this is a major purchase and a couple riders I know at work have suggested to me that this plan is worthwhile to have. One guy has a horror story about a cam bearing going bad about 8 months out of the Manufacturer's warranty and it cost well over the cost of the extended service plan to repair the motor.

Does anyone have some experience with the HD Extended Service Plan - good or bad - to share, or just general feelings about extended warranties?

Thanks for any responses in advance.

TWD

Dude,

Here some tips that maybe useful.

Becareful about offer extended warranty, a service agreement, a service contract, or a maintenance agreement or whatever sales dealer said :D

The important thing is dont spent your money before you check if the company is really solid to deal with it.
Check the price other dealer that offering same deal for compare reference.
Ask about if the bike has high mileage, can you still get an extended warranty within the time contract?
A lot people hear "extended warranty" and think they are protected by a golden umbrella covering all that goes wrong,make sure ask what company will covered it.

May be other members can added more useful inforamtion for you.

Richard

Hey y'all,

I'm about ready to finalize the deal on a 2007 Hertiage Classic and the Dealer brings up the Extended Service Plan (Extended Warranty) for up to 5 years. Normaly I make it a policy to NOT purchase extended warranties on items, and have rarely gotten burned too bad.

BUT, this is a major purchase and a couple riders I know at work have suggested to me that this plan is worthwhile to have. One guy has a horror story about a cam bearing going bad about 8 months out of the Manufacturer's warranty and it cost well over the cost of the extended service plan to repair the motor.

Does anyone have some experience with the HD Extended Service Plan - good or bad - to share, or just general feelings about extended warranties?

Thanks for any responses in advance.

TWD

TWD - I bought the 4 year extended plan on my '07 Heritage and I think it is a worthwhile purchase. Parts of the extended coverage go into effect immediately. Be sure to get the tire coverage - it is definitely worth the small extra cost. They will offer you GAP insurance. This pays the difference between what the insurance company pays should you total the bike and what you owe on your contract to the financing institution. Cost $599.00 - a one time cost. Definitely look into this. I have it and feel secure knowing that should something happen of a catastrophic nature I won't be making payments for years on something I can't ride or can't be fixed. This also applies if your bike is stolen. Just something to think about.

Thanks for the input Speed and Leapfreak. I appreciate it.

OK, so far - 1 for, and 1 mostly against (or at least very wary of) Externded Service Plans. Anybody else got thoughts on this?

TWD

My H-D ESP just expired, and I am in the process of getting my refund.

Here is fair warning:

You MUST register within 30 days of purchase (and your dealer should help you accomplish that - if you get it, don't leave without getting it taken care of AT the dealer).
You MUST retain the certificate they will send you. Without it, you can not get your refund. No exceptions.
You MUST get appropriate service and maintenance and keep recordws, regardless of whether you end up using the ESP. It is a loophole specifically designed to allow them the opportunity to keep your money even if you don't use the plan.

I should have my refund check soon. I'll come back and post about it, one way or the other.

If you can wait, I'd encourage you to do so. My plan was $1,200.00. I'll be pretty upset if they don't refund me, since I've complied with all of the requirements.

Xynyx2001

Hah! I just realized that thread is over a year old. What a loser! Sorry. Oh well... maybe others will find it and find it useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hah! I just realized that thread is over a year old. What a loser! Sorry. Oh well... maybe others will find it and find it useful.

Don't be too hard on yourself......let us do that:yahoo

I got a refund on my last bike extended warranty and the dealer did all the work where I bought the new bike. Problem is that they sent the refund to the dealer where I purchased that previous bike and they never notified me until I found that they got the check. Took a bit of persuasion to get it from them after they told me they don't notify the customer! Ha!
Dealer or stealer? :naughty

Back