free website stats program Extended cranking time | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Extended cranking time

ON MY 2009 FLHR,

ONE TIME I OVER FILLED gas tank AND found the next morning that the GAS GAUGE-BASE popped out..... STUCK UP LOOSE... I had to reset it BACK, INTO the tank..... GARAGE smelled of gas was how I first noticed it...

MAKE sure the gauge is seated all the way into the tank.... PUSHING straight into it...I think it only fits in one way...IT reset easily and I have never had a problem since...

THE GUAGE (cap) and PUMP is needed to FIT ALL the way INTO tank,,, close to FLUSH,,,, I think this could be your STARTING PROBLEM and the FIX is above........

signed....BUBBIE

dont see how the fuel guage can change anything, the guage goes into a cup welded into the tank, and a tube goes down and out the bottom of the tank for the wiring.

PART OF HIS QUESTION WAS """" STRONG SMELL OF FUEL IN GARAGE""""

If you RE-READ his starting question !!!!

THERE is MORE to the UNDER THE CAP FUEL GUAGE THAN A ""COUPLE OF WIRES"" on MY 09 FLHR

I can't tell from HERE what HE meant by STICKS UP ABOVE THE TANK OR NOT FLUSH ENOUGH...
MY STATEMENT WAS FROM what happened on MY BIKE and thought it may be HELPFUL to OTHERS OUT THERE ......IF it happened to THEM.

I surly had this problem and STRONG GAS SMELL in garage was the CLUE!

signed....BUBBIE

Steve as Bubbie pointed out, it is possable the fuel smell is coming under the fuel guage where the sender plate mounts, sometimes the mounting screws are loose and it can leak a little fuel there, just tighten the screws and they are usually fine, also if the cap is sticking up, sometimes a touch of silicone on the edge will keep it down or else take it in under warranty, sometimes the base on the guages aren't quite right.
Brutal also had good advice to do the complete stage 1 with a super tuner, why not get the performance with the sound and have a happier bike to boot, could solve the cranking problem. Good luck

PART OF HIS QUESTION WAS """" STRONG SMELL OF FUEL IN GARAGE""""

If you RE-READ his starting question !!!!

THERE is MORE to the UNDER THE CAP FUEL GUAGE THAN A ""COUPLE OF WIRES"" on MY 09 FLHR

I can't tell from HERE what HE meant by STICKS UP ABOVE THE TANK OR NOT FLUSH ENOUGH...
MY STATEMENT WAS FROM what happened on MY BIKE and thought it may be HELPFUL to OTHERS OUT THERE ......IF it happened to THEM.

I surly had this problem and STRONG GAS SMELL in garage was the CLUE!

signed....BUBBIE

dont quite understand the need for alternate caps and lower case, what exactly do YOU have under YOUR fuel guage?? as the sender for it comes out of the top plate in the tank under the dash, and the wiring comes up a tube welded into the tank, there is no access into the tank from under there so nowhere for fuel to leak, under the speedo is where any leak will come from.

dont quite understand the need for alternate caps and lower case, what exactly do YOU have under YOUR fuel guage?? as the sender for it comes out of the top plate in the tank under the dash, and the wiring comes up a tube welded into the tank, there is no access into the tank from under there so nowhere for fuel to leak, under the speedo is where any leak will come from.

I had a 94 DWG which did in fact develop a leak in the well under the gauge. It would drip out the tube at the bottom and drip on the motor so check there too. The tank was replaced by the selling dealer.

Is a 2010 Wide Glide 'drive by wire'? I know on a drive by wire cage, the throttle body butterfly position during cranking can be determined by a look up table. Regardless of how much air the driver wants to inject during starting, the ECM over rules. I wonder if the HD Delphi is the same.

I may be looking to deep into the problem but that black smoke once started has me wondering. I should have asked earlier where your twist grip position is during cranking. It may just need more air.

when my tank was over filled with gas..., the whole gauge unit pooped up and looking at it with out a parts book in hand and seeing a black sealing unit ,,, unlike the picture shows in the big book just of the gauge/wires... I was unable to remove the unit because of the wires attached.. so at that point I just made sure it lined up and pushed it back into the hole and it sealed and has not been a problem since..
are you saying it doesn't sit in the gas? if that is correct, I'm all WET....

maybe the raw gas smell was com'n from the over fill and NOT the gauge cover mounting?

signed....BUBBIE

Your right rancid, I was thinking earlier models, the sending unit is mounted on the fuel pump on the new injected bikes, there is no opening under the fuel guage anymore. Just the tube for the wires.

Your right rancid, I was thinking earlier models, the sending unit is mounted on the fuel pump on the new injected bikes, there is no opening under the fuel guage anymore. Just the tube for the wires.

Well i just jumped thru the hoops and I found out I was WRONG!
even called HD

rancid was RIGHT.(.) YEP so is chopper but NOT BUBBIE

When I'm WRONG it feels terrible but I STAND CORRECTED...

Thanks for the polite attitude shown to me here..

40 lashes and without me using any upper case letters..

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, the only way to learn to be right is to be wrong a few times, experience speaking, and the more I learn, the more I know, I don't know.

Back