free website stats program Exploded view of CV carb | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Exploded view of CV carb

Just remember it takes 14.7:1 to make a complete fuel combustion. Like Bodeen said "slippery slope"!!! You are better running rich than running lean. I have to agree it also depends on the twist of the right wrist. I was getting 48 on the heritage before the doebeck and pipes, but now 42. That come to 30 more miles per tank equals about $1.50 per fill up. Love the extra power:)

Cured the lean condition (thank you EPA) in my Fat Boy, and it runs cooler ta'boot.

The Low Rider with CV performs well but, it's in need of having cam tensioners switched out for hydraulic along with a cam change while I'm in there.
Seeing how the TC is just a compressor I want to make it as efficient as possible without compromising longevity.

Just remember it takes 14.7:1 to make a complete fuel combustion. Like Bodeen said "slippery slope"!!! You are better running rich than running lean.

14.7 is a stoichiometric mixture. In theory a stoichiometric mixture has just enough air to completely burn the available fuel. In practice this is never quite achieved, due primarily to the very short time available in an internal combustion engine for each combustion cycle. Most of the combustion process completes in approximately 4–5 milliseconds at an engine speed of 6,000 rpms.

A stoichiometric mixture unfortunately burns very hot and can damage engine components if the engine is placed under high load at this fuel–air mixture. Due to the high temperatures at this mixture, detonation of the fuel–air mix shortly after maximum cylinder pressure is possible under high load. Detonation can cause serious engine damage as the uncontrolled burning of the fuel air mix can create very high pressures in the cylinder. As a consequence, stoichiometric mixtures are only used under light load conditions. For acceleration and high load conditions, a richer mixture (lower air–fuel ratio) is used to produce cooler combustion products and thereby prevent detonation and overheating of the cylinder head.

The Low Rider with CV performs well but, it's in need of having cam tensioners switched out for hydraulic along with a cam change while I'm in there. Seeing how the TC is just a compressor I want to make it as efficient as possible without compromising longevity.

Everybody wants to jump over to the hydraulic cam tensioners when you can spend about the same for a gear drive setup. JMHO but save your money and stick with the OEM cam plate but replace the tensioners with CYCO tensioners, replace the outer cam bearings and upgrade the inner cam bearings or go with gear driven cams with the OEM cam plate. The OEM oil pump is more than adequate for most bigger bore upgrades with performance cams; adding the Baisley LMR-002 spring will help lower rpm oil pressure. However, if one feels an upgraded pump is necessary, the Daytona pump provided higher capacity and better scavenging for a very reasonable price.

I just don't understand spending for the hydraulic upgrade that does not completely eliminate potential tensioner issues when for just a bit more, gear driven cams can be installed and completely eliminate potential tensioner issues forever.:confused:

14.7 is a stoichiometric mixture. In theory a stoichiometric mixture has just enough air to completely burn the available fuel. In practice this is never quite achieved, due primarily to the very short time available in an internal combustion engine for each combustion cycle. Most of the combustion process completes in approximately 4–5 milliseconds at an engine speed of 6,000 rpms.

A stoichiometric mixture unfortunately burns very hot and can damage engine components if the engine is placed under high load at this fuel–air mixture. Due to the high temperatures at this mixture, detonation of the fuel–air mix shortly after maximum cylinder pressure is possible under high load. Detonation can cause serious engine damage as the uncontrolled burning of the fuel air mix can create very high pressures in the cylinder. As a consequence, stoichiometric mixtures are only used under light load conditions. For acceleration and high load conditions, a richer mixture (lower air–fuel ratio) is used to produce cooler combustion products and thereby prevent detonation and overheating of the cylinder head.

A fine explanation!

dolt,
Some great input; wish I knew some riders with gear drive setups to get there feedback.
From what I hear it's all about setting up the lash correctly to achieve minimal noise, but it would be a definite performance improvement not to mention maintenance free.

dolt,
Some great input; wish I knew some riders with gear drive setups to get there feedback. From what I hear it's all about setting up the lash correctly to achieve minimal noise, but it would be a definite performance improvement not to mention maintenance free.

Well, you are "talking" to one. Most techs don't even bother to check lash, they install the gears, spin them and if there is no binding or obvious lash issues, button up the cam chest and call it good. It has been my experience that lash is not a huge issue but I always check. I have found that if the inner lash is within spec, the outer lash will be OK. In the event there is a lash issue, Andrews sells under size gears to address lash issues.

Attachments

• innerlashsetup.jpg
    innerlashsetup.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 13
  • outer lash.jpg
    outer lash.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 14
With a stock carburetor does modifications to the back plate help? Along with re jetting?
The bike I have has Vance and Hines pipes and no one ever did anything to the carb, I put a k&n filter on it and there's a noticeable difference. Now I'm just thinking of jetting the carb and opening up the plate. And I'm done.

Back