free website stats program Exhaust leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust leak

SteveM

I have had a bit of decel popping lately and I couldn't dial it out with the Thundermax so I was pretty sure it was an exhaust leak. I searched and searched but could not find it. Yesterday, I found it. Its leaking right where the crossover pipe goes into the rear head pipe. I always figured that it was a welded joint but apparently its not. Is there a gasket or some kind of seal in there? If there is and I have to get the head pipe off to replace it, Is there a good trick to getting the manifold nuts off without breaking off the rusted stud?

Now for the dumb question, What would happen if I just welded over the ports where the crossover joins the pipes eliminating it and made it a true dual? I do intend to get a new 2 into one system but that has to wait until the money tree bears fruit. This is just curiosity at this point. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Steve

Thanks JBC,

I actually have a tube of Ultra Copper that I used to seal the slip ons. I'll try that and if it doesn't hold, then I'll tear into them and see if I can find out why there leaking.

Steve

I Is there a good trick to getting the manifold nuts off without breaking off the rusted stud?
Thanks,
Steve

I sprayed "PB Blaster" all around my exhaust nuts and studs, and let it sit overnight. Next day, the nuts that had been on for 16 years came off like they had just been put on. Don't forget new exhaust gaskets.

Thanks JBC,

I actually have a tube of Ultra Copper that I used to seal the slip ons. I'll try that and if it doesn't hold, then I'll tear into them and see if I can find out why there leaking.

Steve

The Ultra copper will do the trick nicely, P B blaster and a heat gun should do the trick on the exhaust nuts, try some antisieze on the threads when you reassemble it:s

Thanks tons guys,
Its suppose to rain for the next 5 days so I guess I will have plenty of garage time to deal with this. Looks to be an easy task, hopefully this will stop the popping.

Ride safe all!

after you do the fix on the exhaust, check your base map link up go to basic settings and make sure the decel option is clicked on and not off you should see a number 1 if its zero 0 then the decel is turned off ......... type 1 in the box and also check to make sure your are running in the closed loop configuration. make sure the closed loop optin is checked ........

Back