free website stats program Exhaust Dust? | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust Dust?

BugSpitter

Just purchased a new Ultra Classic and noticed what looks to be exhaust dust accumulating on on the saddle bags, tour pack, and rear fender. This is my first Harley...is this normal? I told the dealer at the 1000 mile service and they said I had an exhaust leak and replaced a gasket. It still gets dusty after riding for a couple of hours.:tounge

I would like to know what gasket the dealer replaced as I cannot imagine an exhaust leak causing the problem you describe. Did you hear an exhaust leak before the dealer replaced this gasket and is it gone now? Unless I am missing something the only gaskets are at the exhaust port on the cylinder heads at the front of the bike and I see no way for exhaust fumes to travel that far and accumulate at the rear of the bike in such a fashion.

Anyway you can post a picture of the dust you are referring to? I think you have another issue causing the dusty condition but have no idea what it could be at this point. Maybe some kind of oil leak migrating to the rear and causing dirt to settle where the oil is??

The world is a dirty place and your going to get dust on the back of your bike just by riding it. This is why the companies that sell cleaners make so much money. Hint, use Pledge, I find it the cheapest and best cleaner.

The world is a dirty place and your going to get dust on the back of your bike just by riding it. This is why the companies that sell cleaners make so much money. Hint, use Pledge, I find it the cheapest and best cleaner.

On my 09 FLHR, I thought the dust that was there after every ride was just normal Dust. I have to clean it with PLEDGE and it takes the loose stuff,,, Wipes OFF without scratching the bike...

I noticed that the bikes saddles and fender gather dust like a magnet..

I found that every once and a while I RUN (carefully)water from a hose to wash out the break dust out of the pad area directly over the calipers.... Black as a dickens but Not on the bike...

I also Can't see any problem with exhaust..... It would have to burn RICH and that would be noticed BUT leak out????? Where like stated, only gaskets are the head pipes. And doubt if totally gone would any residue affect the rear of the bike..

Dust , Just plain Old Dust..

signed....BUBBIE

Same as Bubbie, I have always had to dust mine off after ridding, just figured it was road dust. "They all do that" :tounge

Same on my Classic. That big Harley pokes a good size hole in the air going down the road. The bags and tour pack create a low pressure area and suck the dust in.

So if I understand you fella's correctly, when I finally do make that leap and purchase the Road Glide Ultra I will get to spend even more time with her in the garage keeping her clean, sounds like a win win situation :D

One things for sure, if all you ever have to worry about is dust on it. Your going to be ok. I say just ride that joker like you stole it and let the dust fall where it may!

Bodeen

Back