free website stats program Exhaust Bracket Tab Broke what now? | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust Bracket Tab Broke what now?

wnevala

I have a 2002 Road King Classic. Yesterday I was heading home from a Patriot Guard Riders meet and greet and noticed a vibration ringing. When I got home I saw the broken Exhaust Bracket Tab laying next to my primary. The Keps Nut must have vibrated loose. I went to the local HD shop and picked up a new bracket and nut. Now I am not sure what I need to do to get it back on. This is my first Harley and I don't know diddly squat about the mechanics of the machine. Seems like an easy fix, but I can't seem to simply put it back on. Do I have to loosen the TORCA Clamp to allow the bracket tab to slide into the slot of the TORCA Clamp? If so, is this something I can do in my garage? Or should I take this to the service department at the dealer?

Your advice would be helpful for this rookie.

Thanks!

Bill in Minnesota

I have a 2002 Road King Classic. Yesterday I was heading home from a Patriot Guard Riders meet and greet and noticed a vibration ringing. When I got home I saw the broken Exhaust Bracket Tab laying next to my primary. The Keps Nut must have vibrated loose. I went to the local HD shop and picked up a new bracket and nut. Now I am not sure what I need to do to get it back on. This is my first Harley and I don't know diddly squat about the mechanics of the machine. Seems like an easy fix, but I can't seem to simply put it back on. Do I have to loosen the TORCA Clamp to allow the bracket tab to slide into the slot of the TORCA Clamp? If so, is this something I can do in my garage? Or should I take this to the service department at the dealer?

Your advice would be helpful for this rookie.

Thanks!

Bill in Minnesota
Did the muffler clamp break or is this the rear exhaust bracket above the starter?

The Bracket Tab connects to the Exhaust Support Bracket. The Exhaust Support Bracket is also connected to the starter. The Bracket Tab slides into the TORCA Clamp (special) that connects the Crossover Piper to the Rear Header Pipe. It is easy to see this from the right side of the bike just behind the Rear Head. I have read that the tab gets super heated and crystalized, which will make is susceptible to breaking. The broken bracket did not have the tab on it when I found it. The 3/4 in long tab might still be stuck in the slot of the TORCA clamp. I am wondering if I should loosen the TORCA Clamp, check if the broken tab is in there, pull it out if it is. Then put the new bracket tab in and re-tighten the TORCA Clamp. Then finally bolt it to the Exhaust support bracket with the Keps Nut.

If this is wrong, somebody chime in to set me straight. I don't want to goof this up.

Thanks,

Bill

The Bracket Tab connects to the Exhaust Support Bracket. The Exhaust Support Bracket is also connected to the starter. The Bracket Tab slides into the TORCA Clamp (special) that connects the Crossover Piper to the Rear Header Pipe. It is easy to see this from the right side of the bike just behind the Rear Head. I have read that the tab gets super heated and crystalized, which will make is susceptible to breaking. The broken bracket did not have the tab on it when I found it. The 3/4 in long tab might still be stuck in the slot of the TORCA clamp. I am wondering if I should loosen the TORCA Clamp, check if the broken tab is in there, pull it out if it is. Then put the new bracket tab in and re-tighten the TORCA Clamp. Then finally bolt it to the Exhaust support bracket with the Keps Nut.

If this is wrong, somebody chime in to set me straight. I don't want to goof this up.

Thanks,

Bill

That may work, but I would disconnect the battery just to be safe, you do not want any thing falling or touching the starter:s

You have it just about right. also loosen the heat shield and do like Jack said and disconnet the battery. Mine broke and I did it the same way your describing.
Good luck.

Dave

It might be easier if you loosen the lower left heatshield, slide it down slightly, and remove the heatshield just between it and the rear cylinder exhaust port. That will give you the necessary access to the rear TORCA clamp. The clamp is a special one, with a small relieved place in it, to accept the tab from the bracket tab. Catch the broken tab when it comes free (you don't want it bouncing around the top of the starter).

When putting it all back together, do not tighten the keps nut, until you have made sure that the bracket tab is correctly placed flat against the starter mount plate, as well as lined up right up against the rear header, slipped under the relief in the TORCA clamp. Once in the right position, gently tighten the keps nut, just enough to keep it properly positioned, then tighten the TORCA clamp to spec (pretty significant torque, and use a torque wrench). Then tighten the keps nut to spec.

Replace the upper heatshield and tighten just enough for position verification, and slide the lower heatshield up to where its lip slides just under the upper heatshield (as indicated by the relief in the upper heatshield). Tighten just enough for position verification. Slightly loosen and reposition the 2 shields till you find the natural bend matching to the pipes, and tighten them both down.

Note: Don't ride your scoot much at all, until you get that bracket tab properly remounted. The increased vibration will increase the likelyhood of a cracked rear headpipe, significantly. In fact, if it were me, I would remove the heatshields to expose the entire rear headpipe, and check for cracks, if for no other reason than for peace of mind, as long as you are in there. The likely crack points are right behind the rear exhaust port, at the top, and right behind the 'Y' where the rear and front exhaust flows meet, at the bottom of the right side.

Also, wear eye protection while tightening the rear TORCA clamp. This one has gotten quite hot, it requires quite a bit of torque (per spec), and HD advises these to be single use. I don't know why the single use, except that they likely stretch and shape a bit. My point is, if the clamp breaks while torquing, you do not want naked eyes in the area, in case pieces fly.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back