free website stats program Excessive Vibration | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Excessive Vibration

How does the seat feel to you? I had a 2-up pillow seat that helped with the vibration coming up from that area...

I could hardly see anything in the left side mirror above 55mph on my 2003 883. It is a stiff ride.

The seat is okay however a bit stiff for me. Plus my kids like to ride so I will have to change it. What modifications have you done to yours?

I had the two-up pillow seat on mine with a medium sissy bar/pad behind. Can't tell you if its comfortable for an adult passenger, but as the rider it did help.

The biggest modification I made was trading it in on a 2007 Sportster -- the rubber mounts make a HUGE difference in the smoothness of the ride. Plus, the e-z pull clutch made a big difference for me. I was doing fingertip pulls on the clutch lever.

These are fit/feel items you can't really get an idea for until you put some miles on the bike.

JMO.

the exhaust bits from biglew should fit your bike fine as for a seat get one with a bit more padding than you have now trawl through ebay as often possible to find good parts at a very resonable price
vibration is part of the rigid mount harley experience mirrors on my sporty and softail only give a vague perception of whats behind the dyna being rubber mounted is very smooth
iso grips and pegs are very good at isolating you from the worst of the vibes as long as you dont grip to tight or press the feet too tight
try to stick to A roads rather than freeways
sitting at 1 constant speed on the road can make the vibes seem worse constantly adjusting speed for bends and road conditions and your position on the bike will take care of vibe problems
i had a 75 triumph bonnie in the late 70s was horrendous on the motorways had to stop every 50 miles and re tighten engine mount bolts etc cause of the vibes but at that time very few motorways in scotland and was the best bike you coud get for the A roads
sporty is very close to the bonnie but has less vibes on the motorways

Brian

Belt vibration can also be a source. Check drive belt, if too loose it will flap around and make the thing shake.

I notice a while back that the right mirror vibrates less than the left, only difference is the right has a dampner, the brake resivor holds fluid that dampens the vibration a little. So with that in mind why not fill handle bars with oil, need some type of seal on both ends of course. Another thought was to simply get a tube of RTV silicone and inject it in the bars. they will be completely filled with silicone. Not tried this but wonder if it would do some good.

I have a 2003 with solid mount engine and don’t have a problem with vibration or blurry mirrors. I even rented a cushy 2009 Ultra Classic and did not notice any big difference in vibration when going back to my Sportster.

Something ain’t right. I second the idea of having the bike carefully checkout for an out of balance /out of round tire, loose belt or other part.

Back