free website stats program excessive front brake lever travel | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

excessive front brake lever travel

This is a common problem. Remove the caliper and place a stiff putty blade between the brake pads. Pump the handle until the pads tighten onto the blade of the putty knife. Clean the sides of the pistons with a tooth brush and some brake cleaner. Spread the pads and re-install. Repeat on the opposite side. Road debris tends to collect on the sides of the pistons..hope this helps!

I am another that really likes the simplicity of overnight brake lever pull with bungee cord method for the final brake bleeding mode.

This may not work with with late models with ABS equipped brakes, as the centering of the equalizer valve and brake bleeding/calibration is an HD Dealer diagnostic & service procedure option only.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/wheels/4516-soft_front_brake_pull.html

Last edited:
well, it didn't work. lever very low but will pump up slightly. not taking any chances here. starting w/ new master cylinder ($129.95), i will work down to calipers and pads. money can't be an object when your life depends on the parts. might upgrade to s/s lines as well.

well, it didn't work. lever very low but will pump up slightly. not taking any chances here. starting w/ new master cylinder ($129.95), i will work down to calipers and pads. money can't be an object when your life depends on the parts. might upgrade to s/s lines as well.

You might as well do the maintenance on the calipers too while you are into the brake system...:D

Brake Caliper Maintenance - Harley Davidson Community

new m/c in box on table. forgot sealing washers at dealership. called friend and he picked 2 sets (just in case-always have a spare) now to do the deed but first the caliper piston cleaning detail. i'll be back.

new m/c in box on table. forgot sealing washers at dealership. called friend and he picked 2 sets (just in case-always have a spare) now to do the deed but first the caliper piston cleaning detail. i'll be back.

Do yourself a favor, clean the pistons before you install the mc. You can probably get your money back.

never mind.

Last edited:
thanks but i'm kind of scared about brakes. with 36k on the clock and no response to bleeding, i'll take the hit for piece of mind. if i have to replace every piece to the axle nut, this baby is gonna stop-quick. just a personal quirk. brakes is better'n speed. imo.

Back