free website stats program EVO Vibration | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

EVO Vibration

Brian

I doubt that the crank is out from a stator replacement. The EVO motors/cranks are nothing like the TC cranks. They can take a lot more before giving up the fight.

Your problem is just a bad design on those era bikes.

Thanks Glider,
I agree with you on that. I guess I'll see if I can get a ride on another one to put me at ease.
Thanks again
Brian

Last edited:
i have a similar problem i ride a 98 softail with a cam. changed the pegs to "non vibrating pegs" great idea more rubber....(more rubber hmmmmm)....looked at my boots...thin sole. bought new boot now can cruse at 120kpm with a slight vibration. love my bike love my slight vibration.... take some time and find the boots with the sole you need. i now wear HI-TEC hiking boots. good luck and hope it works for you

Thankyou all for your interest and input.
A new bike would be nice for sure.My wife agrees with this comment ,Thanks Glider. Not going to happen.I've grown to like this shed ornament. It has some history and with this I'd like to keep it.
The wheels have been balanced.
I have researched the Balance Masters items and haven't read enough positive remarks to get them.
A 6 speed O/Drive box would cure my cruising symtoms.
It's like the crank is out of being true. A H/D tech suggested if the stator had been changed and the compensator nut removed with a rattle gun it may have knocked the crank out of being true. Hard to believe, but if it has that could explain it.
Anyway I'll keep looking and keep you up to date with anything that works.If it's man made ,it can be fine tuned. Ha ha. Money wise, it would cost me $20,000 to update to a new bike. I think I'll get some gel shoes.
Thanks again
Brian :guitar
brt 650, did you resolve your vibration issue .... let me know.. my 92 evo fatboy, also shakes at speeds above 65.. making my feet itch.. and making it hard to keep on the floorboards.. also my seat vibrates enought to make my privates itch... ha, ha, ha... funny but not enoyable...

sincerely,

rubenhood.

I have a 92 softail custom and yes it vibrates however to make things a wee bit more comfortable i have replaced the pegs with kuryakyn iso pegs these are designed with soft cushion rubber to isolate you from the vibration as you have floorboards look at this it may help

ISO®-Boards | Küryakyn

Brian

Well it's been awhile. I've fitted the 6 speed and don't ride the bike all that much.The 6 speed dropped the revs at cruising speed. But the vibration still existed. Today I replaced the primary chain and the bike is 50% better. The bike appears to be smoother throughout the gear and rev rangeThe old chain had a tight spot. The rollers were jamming up. I wish I had replaced this 5 years ago. Anyway I think I'll be happy with the way it is now. Well till I get that 2 into 1 supertrapp exhaust up the road for sale. And maybe a mikuni carb and a big bore. Anyway I'd better stop dreaming. Hope this helps someone and thank you all for your advice and help.
Cheers
Brian
WAP.gif

Thanks so much for coming back and posting your current situation - I'm sure it will help many other folks!

Hand-balanced crankshaft assemblys, set at approx 60% balance factor are very smooth.
Moco "batch-balanced" set-ups seem to have some vibes.
Scott

Back