free website stats program EVO oil pump gear cover pinion bushing | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

EVO oil pump gear cover pinion bushing

I just looked at my manual for a 94 and it is the same exploded view as the ones above. My manual says the pump can be rebuilt without removing the crankcase, so I don't see any reason you can't replace the gaskets. The part #30 inthe view above is actually a plug in my manual.

Well that's a relief HDDon. I guess a plug would leak if it came loose.(something about the path of least resistance).
Just was worried I was "mashing" a part or passage in oil pump by tightening the leaking bolt.
Thanks.
John

Please tell me I can change the gasket with the engine in frame??? Looks like I have plenty of room, might just have to drop an exhaust for more room to work.
Might as well clean the tappet screen while I'm in that section.

You have me scared with your comment above about the EVO oil pump rebuild.

Not to worry, the pump can be serviced in the frame with few problems. The softail I did had broken a gear and tore up the shaft bushing. The MOCO said it could not be done. HMM what a challenge. I made a puller and line reamed the new bushing in the frame and never pulled the motor. it can be done:s

Not to worry, the pump can be serviced in the frame with few problems. The softail I did had broken a gear and tore up the shaft bushing. The MOCO said it could not be done. HMM what a challenge. I made a puller and line reamed the new bushing in the frame and never pulled the motor. it can be done:s

So there should not be any problem with replacing the gasket as long as he is careful with the oil pump drive shaft. My manual is quite explicite about not letting the drive shaft get pushed back into the gear case as the key can fall out.

So there should not be any problem with replacing the gasket as long as he is careful with the oil pump drive shaft. My manual is quite explicite about not letting the drive shaft get pushed back into the gear case as the key can fall out.

Correct Don, as long as you are careful it will be OK, before reassembly give a slight tug on the shaft, or you can take the cone off and be double sure the key does not fall off, and observe all torque on the oil pump bolts. The in frame job I did I had to remove the cone to get the shaft bushing out and back in again, there was a lot of damage, tho the job turned out good, this was in Minnesota in the winter with not much heat BRRR I can still remember it:s

Sounds like quite a job, almost like building a ship in a bottle.

Sounds like quite a job, almost like building a ship in a bottle.

Not all that bad, if it had not been winter at the time not that much too the pumps to go wrong but this one broke a gear and would not return to the tank a learning experience I have never seen this before only heard of it Now I know and it is not too bad of a job just be careful and double check your work before you fire it up

Back