free website stats program Evo engine rebuild | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Evo engine rebuild

I don't plan on ever getting rid of my Fatboy. If I have the heads off, it just seemed like a good idea to replace rings and have the cylinders looked at. Can anyone recommend someone I could mail to have this done? I know of no one locally that does this kind of work especially on evo jugs. I want to do all of this myself and have never done this, so..... Would like to put on the Hayden fix and re-ring and put on SE heads. Thanks for any input. :)

If you are doing the top end, I definitely agree that you should do the rings, valve job and have the cylinders honed. Doesn't make sense to have all that stuff off and not do this stuff.

I suggest you send Chopper a PM and see what you can work out. If he is too busy right now, he might have a suggestion for a shop near you he would recommend.

TQ

Specs for my '92 Evo are taper not to exceed .002", out of round not to exceed .003". I believe a later model like yours would be the same. And if anyone says torque plates are not needed for measuring, honing etc., go elsewhere. Evo's are tall alum. cylinders and deform under pressure.

mine got measured today they went from 004 to 005

If I were doing this job @ 35K miles, I would definately also change the lifters and the inner cam bearing. Both are known trouble makers and you might as well get it over with for piece of mind. HD B lifters will set you back 130.00 for the set and the bearing is <10bucks. Now, since you are in the cam chest you might want to think about a mild cam to go with the SE heads. Depends on yourbudget but something like an EV-27 will really wake things up..

D

I had the cam replaced at 25k with a Dave Mackie cam (new bearing). Also had
S&S lifters installed as well. So I have already taken care of that. I have been getting some occassional chatter, but sounds like top end. But you know how sound travels. So I will look at the heads when I take off. :)

i have a 93 evo with 25k on it i just did alot of work to my self, changed cam, lifters, pistons, and had head work done to it. all together it was about 1500 bucks. not too bad on the price, but man did that wake up that old evo!!!

Back