free website stats program Ever stuck at a red light? | Harley Davidson Forums

Ever stuck at a red light?

BikeSAG

Having been stuck at a red light or left turn light that would not change I am glad to see this. Oklahoma Governor today signed the Motorcycle Red Light Bill. It takes affect November 1st. It allows a motorcycle to proceed through a red light or turn left on a red light if the motorcycle did not activate the signal (and we all know that happens) and the intersection is clear for the motorcycle to safely proceed.

Of course I'll print off a copy of the Bill to keep in the bike bag for any un-informed officers.

Any of you have this where you live?

ABATE of Oklahoma

Pa. we have this all the time. If the right riders are along we send one guy over to hit the button to change the light. Or I have said heck with it I make a right turn went up the road and turned around and came through the other way.
This can be a real pain.

In PA too with the problem and no protection. I have found my way around these lights in teh hours where it is an issue. Otherwise I just wait a little while, check and then go. I did this one time, car behind me pulled up and bingo, light changed, so I knew is was the bike not setting off the light.

South Carolina passed a law last year, North Carolina passed a law in 2007, Wisconsin (2006), Idaho (2006) Arkansas (2005), Tennessee (2003) and Minnesota (2002). Bills have been introduced in Georgia and Missouri too. It's good to see Oklahoma finally passed the bill. Now if only Florida will get it together.

As a former traffic engineer in a previous lifetime, I often ran into the problem of traffic signal loop detectors not picking up motorcycles. The problem is the smaller amount of metal in a motorcyle, especially metrics, compared to a car or truck.

The answer I would give people when the called in and complained is when that happens make a right on red and then turn around and finish the movement you intended.

My opinion is that this new law allowing throughs and lefts on red is not a good idea from a safety perspective. It may be more convenient, but eventually someone will get nailed. And having politicians dictating traffic control in conflict with accepted standards is scary.

That's the traffic engineer point of view and my two cents.

Jimmy

Like Smitty says WI does have a 45 second and you can go on red law...but now the legislature is looking to pass a bill to put automatic cameras up for red light violators. Which would pretty much negate the first law (unless WI ABATE can turn the tide on it)...

Just another fine example of our state's government at work :D

Having been stuck at a red light or left turn light that would not change I am glad to see this. Oklahoma Governor today signed the Motorcycle Red Light Bill. It takes affect November 1st. It allows a motorcycle to proceed through a red light or turn left on a red light if the motorcycle did not activate the signal (and we all know that happens) and the intersection is clear for the motorcycle to safely proceed.

Of course I'll print off a copy of the Bill to keep in the bike bag for any un-informed officers.

Any of you have this where you live?

ABATE of Oklahoma

WOW! I did not know about this. Thanks for posting. I will also put a copy in my scooter. I have went on many red lightd because of this. Luckily no citations.

Good to know - got stalled at one yesterday b/c of "one-lane" construction over a bridge. Ended up inching forward to see if the sensor would pick-up on the cager behind me. Don't know if this rule exists in NE or IA...will have to check.

Back