free website stats program Engine vs Gear Oil | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine vs Gear Oil

Steve, ?

So it sounds like you have the SE compensator installed? !!

I recently installed the SE "A" suffix comp. in my 09 King. (grooved it like stated on the forum)

Not having primary apart since and won't, I'm using MTL like before.

I also believe in 3 different lubes in the 3 different holes.
I do prefer Redline products.

Old School Dictates as I have always had good results.

Many different (good) products out BUT I'll stick with the ones that have worked so well for me over the Many different HD's and Metrics I have owned.:s

Engine= engine oil (synthetic)
Primary= Primary/clutch approved lube
Tranny's= Gear Oil.

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited:
When I fist started using Mobil 1 I read that it was recommended for the tranny and primary so I used it in the tranny. It was a vast improvement over the original HD oil in there. Then I read about Spectro so it went in, I didn't notice much difference. In the mean time I tried Formula + in the primary. Recently went to Mobil1 in the primary and I noticed a big improvemnet, quiter, swoother shifting longer lasting. I like to beleive that each compartment should have the best oil it can. Right now I'm using Mobil 1 in all three.Motorcycle Oil | Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50
Read for yourself. My decision was also influenced by a manager of my local Cycle Gear store who spent some time with the rep from Mobil 1 who said they designed V twin oil for the purpose of using it that way. Do I beleive all advertizers? No, but they will stand behind it, I guess, if you could prove that their oil caused damage.
As someone once said "your ride, you decide".

Its all I have ever used is either Mobil 1 or Amsoil in all 3 holes . No reason whatsoever to ever use anything else

Its all I have ever used is either Mobil 1 or Amsoil in all 3 holes . No reason whatsoever to ever use anything else

My question is would you do the same for your 4 wheeled vehicles???????

My question is would you do the same for your 4 wheeled vehicles???????

No but my 4 wheeled vehicles have automatic transmissions. So for me that's apples and oranges.

Wrenchin I understand your joke, but what I see are folks that read the label on the product and take as gospel what the manufacture says. I agree that there are products out there that are better than what is specified by the maker and because of folks like you I have a better understanding of what works where and why. Thanks
Well said:s

Bernie, the only thing I can conclude from statements made on the forum is there is a lot of people that would use the same thing in the different compartments on their cars otherwise why would they do it on their bikes?

I think I'm going to drain all the gear oil out of the differential in my car and use engine oil in them. :lolrolling

Maybe I'll use antifreeze in the brake system :lolrolling

And maybe windshield washer fluid in the auto trans :lolrolling.

It should work because that's what I'm seeing posted and it's easier than getting the PROPER oil to do the proper job.

Hummm.... Maybe i will try your way... :newsmile030:

Nah... I better stay with Redline products. :newsmile01:

Hummm.... Maybe i will try your way... :newsmile030:

Nah... I better stay with Redline products. :newsmile01:

You are Right on the Spot here with That THINKING.....:small3d026:

Many Others out there but Best they STAY Out There....:60:

signed....BUBBIE

Back