free website stats program Engine type question | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine type question

dangerdan

I bought my first harley last year. So many models , so much to take in.

My engine is a 1995 80 CI EVO type engine. The manual calls it a V2 TM engine.

Is the EVO engine any different from other HD engines ?

Dan

The Evo was from an "era" of different engines. The V2 TM stands for V Twin and I believe the TM stands for Trade Mark (could be wrong there.)

Here's the difference in the engines.

Flathead engines - Manufactured between 1929 and 1974. Flatheads did not have overhead valves. Instead, the valves ran alongside the engine and opened upwards into a chamber beside the combustion chamber. The advantage of a flathead was simplicity -- no push rods or rocker arms, and the head was a simple casting with a hole in it for the spark plug. A typical Flathead engine had a displacement of 45 cubic inches (742 cc) and produced about 22 horsepower.

Knucklehead engines - Manufactured between 1936 and 1947. The knucklehead came in 60 cubic inch (990 cc) and 74 cubic inch (1,200 cc) variations able to produce 40 and 45 horsepower respectively.

Pan headengines - Manufactured between 1948 and 1965. The pan head also came in 60 cubic inch (990 cc) and 74 cubic inch (1,200 cc) variations and produced 50 and 55 horsepower respectively. Big differences between the knucklehead and the pan head included aluminum heads on the pan head and internal oil lines, as opposed to external lines on the knucklehead.

Shovel head engines - Manufactured between 1966 and 1985. Shovel heads displaced 74 cubic inches (1,200 cc) and produced 60 horsepower.

Evolution engines - Manufactured between 1984 and 1999. Displacement is 81.8 cubic inches (1,340 cc), and the engine produces 70 horsepower. Although the Evolution 1340cc is no longer in production, the Sportster model line of motorcycles receives Evolution engines with 883 cc and 1200 cc displacements (manufactured 1986 to present) .

Twin Cam 88 engines - Manufactured starting in 1999. The Twin Cam gets its name from the fact that it has two cams in the crankcase to activate the valves. At 88 cubic inches (1450 cc) of displacement, it is the largest production Harley motorcycle engine, and it produces 80 horsepower. The engine remains air-cooled, and uses overhead valves activated by push rods. The 88B version of the engine, which came out in 2000, contains counterbalancing shafts to reduce engine vibration.

Revolution engines - Manufactured starting in 2001. The Revolution engine is currently used on only one Harley production model -- the VSRC. While all of the engines previously mentioned are largely the same and represent incremental improvements, the Revolution engine is different. This engine is water-cooled rather than air-cooled and its V angle is 60 degrees rather than 45. It has four overhead cams rather than two cams in the crankcase and is fuel injected. This engine is smaller -- only 69 cubic inches (1130 cc). It has a much shorter stroke, allowing it to rev to 9,000 RPM and it produces 115 horsepower.

Now pay attention, we're going to test you on this later :D

Thanks Glider .

I was doing a comparison on a certain site for spark plugs for my bike and got overwhelmed with all the different types of HD models and engine displacements. I thought the EVO and TC 88 were the same. OBVIOUSLY NOT.

Again thanks to you and this wonderfull site.

Bigger bore and longer stroke, cases are different in some areas too. Many differences in the two.

Back