free website stats program Engine turning over but no spark! | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine turning over but no spark!

I have a 1994 XL1200. It will turn over but will not produce any spark? I dont know what to do or what to check all i know is half the wires on the bike are speaker wire!!!!!??? There are three wires on the right hand side of the engine block a red, white, and a black wire and they are just cut? What did they go to i need any tips or ideas!! I will check the coil but please someone help me!!:newsmile077:
Melissa!!

Melissa

Your best bet would be to get the factory service manual for the bike and rewire it with the proper wires before it catches on fire.

The FSM has all the wiring diagrams for the bike in the back.

Yeah but I just wanna hear it run!! lol anxious i suppose!! But i have already gave someone the money for the wire since they know what wire to buy!!! but back to the not starting part!!!! ;-)

You mention that there is no spark, that could be part of the wiring problem you have. You need fuel, spark and a few other things to run, you obviously are missing the spark from what you say. I don't know your qualifications for trouble shooting but if you can get a test light and start at the coil to see if you have power and work back into the system, it should tell you where you are loosing the power.

Depending on what wires have been cut and removed, your best bet may be to get a replacement harness to be sure the wiring is the correct gauge and in the long run would give you a better trouble free job to boot.

OK I will do that here pretty soon is there a way to check the voltage regulator without it running? And do you know what the three wires on the block would be to there are just cut right off?

OK I will do that here pretty soon is there a way to check the voltage regulator without it running? And do you know what the three wires on the block would be to there are just cut right off?

It's difficult to see the wires that you are speaking of from here :s

As far as the testing of the charging system, look through the self help area following the link at the bottom of this post. You'll find much useful info in there to help you out.

I would be more concerned about fixing the wires and getting it running, then you can check the output of the charging system, and if it is working or not.

I have a 1994 XL1200. It will turn over but will not produce any spark? I dont know what to do or what to check all i know is half the wires on the bike are speaker wire!!!!!??? There are three wires on the right hand side of the engine block a red, white, and a black wire and they are just cut? What did they go to i need any tips or ideas!! I will check the coil but please someone help me!!:newsmile077:
Melissa!!

Did you just buy the bike, or was it a gift from someone who couldn't get it running? the three wires may be from the old Harley ignition and has just been abandoned. Glider gave you some good advice on getting a new wire harness and manual. You need to be sure that the wiring is safe before you try to fire it up or you could have a real fire. How old is the battery? Has anyone heard the bike run?

Gave son my clymer manual this is what he managed to scan hope it helps

Brian

Attachments

• 1991-1994 US ALL MODELS page 1 (Medium).jpg
    1991-1994 US ALL MODELS page 1 (Medium).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 1991-1994 US ALL MODELS PAGE 2 (Medium).jpg
    1991-1994 US ALL MODELS PAGE 2 (Medium).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 34
Back