free website stats program engine size? | Harley Davidson Forums

engine size?

I have a 1973 harley rigid custom chopper,with an iron head motor,I was told that it was a 1400 cc,has anyone ever heard of this size motor,or is it possible to make a 1000 cc into a 1400 cc or was this guy just wrong,is there a way to find out from the serial number on the motor

I'm pretty sure and someone will hopefully correct me if i'm wrong but Harley didn't produce an engine bigger than 1200cc until they came out with the 80 cu. in. evo engines. It might be possible that it was bored, stroked or both to make it 1400cc, but I'm not very familiar with any of that. and if it was a 1000cc originally then the v.i.n. would say that and wouldnt say anything about bore and stroking.

If you could trace the serial number, it would only tell you what it started out life as and not what mods were done to it. That's a big increase from 1000 to 1400. Possibly a mis quote?

Last edited:
I know that the vin will only tell me what it started as,I was just trying to find out if its possible to go that big,fromm 1000 to 1400,and if there would be signs like a bigger head or anything,this is a total custom build from the frame up so i beleive that if its possible that that is probable what was done,i finnally got to ride it for a few miles and it really has alot of grunt to it,seems to be alot more power than the other sportster 1200 i owned.

I have a 1973 harley rigid custom chopper,with an iron head motor,I was told that it was a 1400 cc,has anyone ever heard of this size motor,or is it possible to make a 1000 cc into a 1400 cc or was this guy just wrong,is there a way to find out from the serial number on the motor
Take a look at the current American Iron mag. I glanced at an article in there where a guy mated a mid-1980s sporty engine to an FXR frame. Seems that engine is 1400 cc or larger and the engine builder would be listed.

I know of a guy who took his 1200 to an 1840 cc. Costs was $6000+ in parts. This sporty is now a scary-ars street beater. You can be as crazy as ya want with $$$. He has replaced the rear tire twice already...burnouts don't ya know.:x

I have a 2001 Sportster Hugger 883XL that at 46,000 mi I did a complete NRHS 90 ci motor build. To start I dropped a $6500.00 bank note on them and said lets do it. As a 1475cc Sportster that it has become it has Axtel Stage 3 cast iron jugs and Buell 1200XB heads worked to between 10:6 and 10:9 compression Red Shift 1.57 Cams over sized CP Pistons over sized valves over sized springs (not perfect recall discription I know) Screaming Eagle manifold 45mm Mikuni carb Golem Fuel Petcock Crane Hi4 Ignition Stock gearing changed out the Pinion Gear for a heavy duty one and hardened limiters with a Dakota Digital 7000 Series Tach/Speedo it has been dyno tested @ 113.7 hp and 103.4 fpt Top End by Nallin Racing in Colorado. It is a slight tight fit in the frame and we had to change to Red Shift larger cams from SS's cause it broke belts @ 104 fpt Low End it likes 100 Octane but loves 110 uses normal HD 20/50 and starts out rough like any bike bike of thqt nature but gets really excited top of shift in all gears. Not raced yet but will this year at Bandimere Speedway, Sturgis and possibly at Julesburg. The bike took Semi Finalist 2005 Top Street as a stock 883 out of 88 bikes and Quarter Finalist in 2006 Top Street less bikes at Bandimere. Oh yeah it uses a Megs Force Street Fighter header and a 2" K&N Filter and NRHS Hurricane Flow forward mount breather and custom cleanable NRHS Hi Performance Oil Filter. I have had this bike to date up to 138 mph on an empty hyway inside of a mile before I shut it down and it was still pulling using VP 100 octane.

:bigsmiley18:

Attachments

• rtside.jpg
    rtside.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 127
I have seen sporty's up to 91". an I have heard of em over 100" so I know it's possible. But those type of heads, juggs and cranks are only aftermarket and custom stuff. Harley never built one over 1200-74" to my knowledge. and a 73 would have started life as a 1000.

I have seen sporty's up to 91". an I have heard of em over 100" so I know it's possible. But those type of heads, juggs and cranks are only aftermarket and custom stuff. Harley never built one over 1200-74" to my knowledge. and a 73 would have started life as a 1000.
The cases and crank in mine are stock 883 and NRHS has said that for me to take the motor much past 114 hp which it could that the crank would suffere severe issues after a short while and that anything in that class 120 hp or more would require hardened SS cases which would take it out of the HD Radical class in to Custom and could not then be referred to as a HD anymore. I could actually take the build up to a 100 ci but would have to modify the frame as there wouldn't then be enough room to put the jug covers on. Harley Davidson in fact has a 100 ci stock motor that will fit a Sportster frame in the book for something like $8100.00 without any custom work to it other than the size of the motor at start I imagine that you would have to have custom cases and crank ect. to withstand the pressures.
Also the head compression on a 90 ci motor like mine beyond 10:9 would require octane rich fuel and be basically a track dedicated bike at that point. I love my 90 it is one of the coolest bikes of its nature on the public streets it sounds like a big block pickup with glass paks. I love it. :)

I have a 2001 Sportster Hugger 883XL that at 46,000 mi I did a complete NRHS 90 ci motor build. To start I dropped a $6500.00 bank note on them and said lets do it. As a 1475cc Sportster that it has become it has Axtel Stage 3 cast iron jugs and Buell 1200XB heads worked to between 10:6 and 10:9 compression Red Shift 1.57 Cams over sized CP Pistons over sized valves over sized springs (not perfect recall discription I know) Screaming Eagle manifold 45mm Mikuni carb Golem Fuel Petcock Crane Hi4 Ignition Stock gearing changed out the Pinion Gear for a heavy duty one and hardened limiters with a Dakota Digital 7000 Series Tach/Speedo it has been dyno tested @ 113.7 hp and 103.4 fpt Top End by Nallin Racing in Colorado. It is a slight tight fit in the frame and we had to change to Red Shift larger cams from SS's cause it broke belts @ 104 fpt Low End it likes 100 Octane but loves 110 uses normal HD 20/50 and starts out rough like any bike bike of thqt nature but gets really excited top of shift in all gears. Not raced yet but will this year at Bandimere Speedway, Sturgis and possibly at Julesburg. The bike took Semi Finalist 2005 Top Street as a stock 883 out of 88 bikes and Quarter Finalist in 2006 Top Street less bikes at Bandimere. Oh yeah it uses a Megs Force Street Fighter header and a 2" K&N Filter and NRHS Hurricane Flow forward mount breather and custom cleanable NRHS Hi Performance Oil Filter. I have had this bike to date up to 138 mph on an empty hyway inside of a mile before I shut it down and it was still pulling using VP 100 octane.

:bigsmiley18:

Sweet. You got pics of the other side?

Back