free website stats program Engine oil in Primary | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine oil in Primary

glide 2008

Have a 2008 Elec Glide Ultra Classic the bike started using oil the summer. Took several trips and had to add oil to engine after 450 miles or so, not leaking or burning, oil then started leaking out of the wire harness case plug . pull primary cover, and 5 qt of oil ran out before getting down to correct level. Its mostly a stock glide except for I had a after market oil cooler installed. engine oil pressure good about 35 lbs at highway speed and about 10psi at stop lights after it get warmed up. The bike has 18 K for mileage. Do get a little blow-by in the air filter after long trips.
I have went thru the factory manual, just cant find another spot there that engine oil could be coming thru. anybody have any idea how the engine oil gets in the primary? Harley Dealer wants to replace the oil seal does it need to be replace after only 18,000 miles?
HELP, HELP, HELP, in Colorado

Sound like the oil come out behind the stator. I tried to look up on Ronnie's but could not find. I am sure someone here will chime in to help you. :s

The only way I can think it can get there is through the left crankcase oil seal. #7 in the pic.

Attachments

• 08 Crankcase.jpg
    08 Crankcase.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 37
Re: Engine oil in Permary

So let me get this straight, you drained out 5 qts of oil just to get it to the normal oil level? or did I read your post wrong.

Last edited:
Yes, It has to be! I checked them and it is only 4 dollars (12068 OIL SEAL). Wondering what dealer will cost to replace the oil seal? I am aware that we need to have new gaskets and other parts...

Re: Engine oil in Permary

So let me get this straight, you drained out 5 qts of oil just to get it to the normal oil level? or did I read your post wrong. If that were the case you had about 8 1/2 qts of oil in your motor.

He said "5 qt of oil ran out before getting down to correct level". I do believe that he must have drained it from the primary though....

Either way its alot!
I guess I got confused while reading but I agree way to much. I gotta quit drinking before I read posts!!!!:newsmile100:

As far as the blow by your getting a common practice is to run about a 1/2 qt less then called for in your engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
The left crank seal can let oil leak into the primary. The problem is not normally that the seal fails, it's that there is too much pressure in the crankcase forcing the oil through. It's sometimes caused by umbrella valves in the rocker boxes not venting. BUT you say you are getting blowby oil in your air filter? You may have a clogged oil return passage or bad oring in your oil pump, allowing oil to build up in the crankcase instead of returning to the oil pan. Have you done any engine work in the cam chest?
If you find the problem, I think the seal will stop letting oil into the primary.
Just my guesses.

P.S. oil buildup in the crankcase often makes the bike feel sluggish and underpowered.

Last edited:
Back