free website stats program engine oil in primary, again! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

engine oil in primary, again!

Why dont you pull the outer primary off maybe pull the drive chain, clean everything off. start the bike and let the motor warm up and run up the rpm a few times and check for leaks. Dont run it to long and over heat the motor. Maybe run a couple fans on it to help keep it cooler longer. Let the bike cool down and repeat. Have a cooler of brews ready and make an afternoon of it.

Do you have oil pressure on the return line? Clogged return line? Is the oil pump faulty and not pushing oil back fast enough into the the tank so the bike is sumping like it would sitting for long periods causing a back pressure?

Last edited by a moderator:
With the solid bolts removed from the heads start the engine and feel if there are puffs of air coming through the holes if not then the heads may be from a pre 92 evo engine rather than a later one

Brian

ok, little more investigative removal of parts. seems those breather banjo fittings in head are just spacers. there is a 5/16 allen head bolt goes thru them, which is solid and not hollow. and the hole they screw into does not appear to go anywhere.
[/QUOTE]

I think we are getting somewhere. Solid 5/16" bolts that hold the carb/air filter to the heads are pre 1992 CASE breather heads. The 1993 and later HEAD breather bolts are hollow 1/2" thread. If you have later year evo cases, there will not be any other way for the crankcase pressure to get out of the engine, hence leaking crankcase seal. Look carefully at the engine case behind your oil pump. Just inboard of the pump, the case breathers (pre '93) have the orfice from the timed breather. Head breather cases will not have an orfice.
It sounds to me like someone put early heads on late cases. Fin's suggestion of pulling the bolts and running engine is a quick positive way to tell if your heads are venting.

ok, little more investigative removal of parts. seems those breather banjo fittings in head are just spacers. there is a 5/16 allen head bolt goes thru them, which is solid and not hollow. and the hole they screw into does not appear to go anywhere.

I think we are getting somewhere. Solid 5/16" bolts that hold the carb/air filter to the heads are pre 1992 CASE breather heads. The 1993 and later HEAD breather bolts are hollow 1/2" thread. If you have later year evo cases, there will not be any other way for the crankcase pressure to get out of the engine, hence leaking crankcase seal. Look carefully at the engine case behind your oil pump. Just inboard of the pump, the case breathers (pre '93) have the orfice from the timed breather. Head breather cases will not have an orfice.
It sounds to me like someone put early heads on late cases. Fin's suggestion of pulling the bolts and running engine is a quick positive way to tell if your heads are venting.[/QUOTE]

If it is a Later Motor and early heads? cyl.? It needs the Same Year Parts (EVO) to work... I see it as a Big Blunder by the one who changed out the parts.. NOT thinking of the oil return out of engine Let alone the Venting of it...

Think you guys got it..

signed....BUBBIE

yes, it is an 01 Evo, 80 inch according to engine serial number, out of a softail.
thats the bike it came out of, and serial number confirms it.

Brian; I hate to dispute your serial # findings, but everything I can remember (and find) shows 2001 Softails as having Twin Cam engines. 1999 was first year of T.C. in the rubber mount frames, and 2000 was last year of Evolution engine, in Softails only. I may be giving you wrong info, based on Evo or TC. Which engine is yours, left or right?
evolutionengine1.jpg
twincam88engine.jpg

Moderators note: Photos were uploaded from Photobucket, where I resized to be less than 640X480, but appear larger in post?

Last edited:
Why dont you pull the outer primary off maybe pull the drive chain, clean everything off. start the bike and let the motor warm up and run up the rpm a few times and check for leaks. Dont run it to long and over heat the motor. Maybe run a couple fans on it to help keep it cooler longer. Let the bike cool down and repeat. Have a cooler of brews ready and make an afternoon of it.

Do you have oil pressure on the return line? Clogged return line? Is the oil pump faulty and not pushing oil back fast enough into the the tank so the bike is sumping like it would sitting for long periods causing a back pressure?

WHAT?! how in the world am i suposed to do that? the starter in bolted to the trans, and with no drivechain how is the engine going to get started?

ok, i am goin to get the engine serial again. and look it up. I know what this engine cameout of, well best recollection, it been awhile. and I know I looked up engine serial number to verify. maybe i missed something. my engine is def the one on the left, you cant run fast enough to give me a TC, def wouldnt buy one.
be back in a bit with serial.

It sounds to me like someone put early heads on late cases. Fin's suggestion of pulling the bolts and running engine is a quick positive way to tell if your heads are venting.

If it is a Later Motor and early heads? cyl.? It needs the Same Year Parts (EVO) to work... I see it as a Big Blunder by the one who changed out the parts.. NOT thinking of the oil return out of engine Let alone the Venting of it...

Think you guys got it..

signed....BUBBIE[/QUOTE]

I know the heads dont vent. I ran it, and can look in the holes the 5/16 bolts go into. they go nowhere. I am aware of the hollow banjo bolt for the breathers. which is what Ithought i had til i looked closer and started pulling them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably just an oversight on the posters part. I've been known to speak before thinking things through, especially when talking to the Mrs. No harm no foul:D

Last edited:
ok, here is engine serial number.
BKLL018658
i will let one of the guru's here decipher it. I did, and still not sure.
I do know the oil lines on this bike are crazy to me. but all i ever messed with was pans n shovels. none of these Evos.
all my lines go into the bottom of the oil tank. there is a feed line to pump, return from engine to tank, and what appears to be the vent. I think the oil I seen dribble out the vent is caused by oil in tanks sloshing around, because even the vent line goes into the bottom. must be a standpipe or something inside the tank.
thanks,and hopefully we get this sorted out. seems the leakage into the primary has slowed to an almost stop now. this entire build did only have 3100 miles on it, and it had sat for about a year before I started riding it. could that have anything to do with it?
thanks, Brian

Brian; I did some online research, looked in my Police recovery book, and backed things up by comparing my 1992 Dyna numbers. I won't go into all the details, but just give necessary data. Your 10 digit engine code BKLL018658 says it is a Softail engine "B" is the key. Year of manufacture is 1990 "L" is key.
To prove this, look at your left engine case, just in front of the primary cover.
There is a 10 digit number stamped in the case (should be pin stamped).
The first two digits are model, next two are year, next 3 are the Julian day of the year, last 3 are the production number of the day. Mine is
15 92 308 009
Dyna 92 Oct? 9th made that day

So, your heads seem to belong on those cases, and nothing should be venting from the holes. The breather vent is hidden behind the oil pump maze of lines.

I really tried to prove the above info. to be correct, but I have been known to be very wrong more than once. Lets keep at this and keep the oil where it is supposed to be. :newsmile011:

ok, i cannot find the source i originally used for the decoding. but i got out of the Bk that it is an FXSTC, which it in fact is. the LL was something about 1340 Evo and yadayada, the 0 was a check digit or something, and the 1 was the year. which did not seem right at all.
anyways, all in all the oil has STOPPED going into the primary, seems all by itself. for now anyway. 200 miles on it today, and prmary shows no engine oil in it. I know because I added the flourescnt dye to engine oil, and checked primary and nothing.
now to decide why the droplets of oil in the vent line

Back