free website stats program Engine oil drain plug | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine oil drain plug

candave650

I am doing the first oil change after the 30-60-10 break in and noticed the drain plug threads were wraped with teflon tape
Is this normal? or a sign of problems ahead
Never seen this on my previous bikes

Thanks

I have seen it before. I would guess it depends on the mechanic - just liking torquing fastners to spec :). I do not use the tape unless the manual calls for it.

The MOCO likes to seal the drain plugs with teflon or silicone. I change the o ring each time, and I like Napa brush on teflon made by Permatex on the threads:s

usually its Teflon pipe dope that they are sealed with to make sure ya get no drips

As Smitty says, and the fact that two dissimilar metals will corrode (steel on aluminum), so the dope prevents galling or overtightening the fastener needlessly to seal.

As Smitty says, and the fact that two dissimilar metals will corrode (steel on aluminum), so the dope prevents galling or overtightening the fastener needlessly to seal.

So should I be using something on my plugs? I torque to spec and have never experienced any leaks from any of the plugs.

Yes, anti-sieze compound would be good and torque to the low setting that just compresses the crush washer properly (use a new one if resusing a serviced spark plug). That crush washer has saved many a head from overtorqued plugs, but the disimilar metal contact is still there, all you need is moisture and you have a small battery where metal transfer/oxidation takes place. :D

Guys, we're getting oil drain plugs and spark plugs mixed up here.:D

I do use anti-seize for my spark plugs.

For the record, my other posts were referring to the primary, oil and transmission drain plugs.

:cheers

Back