free website stats program Engine oil change | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine oil change

Turk55

Ok I just changed my oil and filter on my 09 Street Glide (no oil cooler, stock) and put 3.5 quarts in it, after taking it out for a ride to warm oil I checked my Harley oil, temp gauge and it says over full surely this is a falas reading. I have read some put in 3.5 others 4 quarts so is it the Harley gauge or what?:newsmile040:

Use a dipstick to find out the accurate reading, never trust those junk gauges. 3 1/2 qts will usually indicate a full oil level. 4 quarts will overfill the level with what is left in the oil galleries.

I just did mine yesterday and added the 4oz in the filter and the remainder of the 3.5 took it out got it to operating temp and checked it showed that I was about 3/4 low ont dip stick so I added the remaining 1/2qt. It stilled showed a little low on the hot check but that brand new oil is hard too see.

Hey Turk 55,
When you checked your level with the dipstick did you thread it back on or just leave it on top of the filler neck? Manual says check cold then do a hot oil check.

Threads on the engine oil dipstick? Not sure on a touring bike but on my softtail its just a rubber seal on the dipstick. Best bet for checking the level is to check the owners manual - from what I've seen on this forum, it varies from model to model and year to year.

I am not sure on the street glide but on the dyna models with 96cc the manual states with the vehicle resting on the jiffy stand on level ground insert the dipstick back with the cap screwed completely into the filler neck. Not to hijack the thread but I have noticed several people stating 3.5 quarts and the book calls for 2.5 on my model. Is this a misprint?

Touring models are also checked with the dip stick screwed in. Touring models take 3.5 qts on oil change, Dynas take 2.5 on oil change.

Check your owners manual to be sure...most say to check the oil level with the dipstick all the way inserted and different years say different things regarding on the jiffy stand (most) or off (rare) with bike level. If it says 3.5 qts that is total and usually cold.

If worried about wet sumping (oil leaking past check valve and filling sump) you may want to run the bike for a minute or so (oil is still cold), stop, and remove dipstick wait for another then recheck (to make sure all the oil in the shallow sump) is in the oil tank, less chance for oil to leak back down. You should be pretty close, 1/2 way between qt low mark and full mark.

Since on my bike, it does not leak down, I can do check cold in the morning on the jiffy stand and have it reads correctly.

Allriddie then, its 3.5 full hot on mt SG, that is unless you are able to get all the oil out, then its 4qt by the book. :cheers

Back