free website stats program Engine Noise with Syn3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Noise with Syn3

maxx2200

I'm new to the forum so please be gentle if this subject has been mentioned. I have an '05 FLHRI with 103 kit, 10.5:1 pistons, Crane Cams. I pretty much beleive in the theory of synthetic engine oil but when I use Screamin Eagle Syn-3 in my Road King I get a lot of engine/valve train noise. I don't hear the noise with standard oil. I would like to use a synthetic, can anyone give me a reccomendation?
Thanx in advance for your help.

Welcome to the forum.

The oil of your choice is by far not the best oil for your motor. It is a blend of base stock and not a true synthetic by a long shot.

It is important to use engine oil in the engine and a gear oil in the transmission, not one size fits all.

Here's more reading in the self help forum.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/oil_related_tips/1238-oil_suggestions_for_harleys.html

Some quality name synthetics would be.. (in no particular order)

Redline
Royal Purple
Mobil 1
Spectro (great trans oil)

And there are many more.

These companies make engine AND gear oil in synthetics for harleys.

I have 07 wide glide.I put amsoil 20W50 in it. The engine noise i had was mostley on hot days setting in traffic. The amsoil elimated it. Might want to try red line 20W60.

Ok, please don't slam me I'm new here but here's my .02 cents.

I personally use Mobil 1 v-twin in the primary and crankcase and 75-90 gear oil in the tranny. It runs quieter, smoother and cooler than the HD syn3.

I've been using that combo for the last 40,000 miles with great results.

I personally use Mobil 1 v-twin in the primary and crankcase and 75-90 gear oil in the tranny. It runs quieter, smoother and cooler than the HD syn3.

Works for me to.

That makes two of us here but I found something after being sold on the M1 75/90 and 75/140 that makes it look bad.

Check out the gear oil in this post, it makes the 6 speed feel soooooo much better than thye M1 synthetic.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/oil_related_tips/1238-oil_suggestions_for_harleys.html

PS... I'll never go back to the M1 in the trans after trying the Spectro.

Back