free website stats program Engine noise Tc 103 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine noise Tc 103

OK, now post a video clip with the motor at operating temp for comparison. Noise sound more like the rocker shaft rotating in the support plate than a loose rocker arm but hard to distinguish between the two. Pull the rocker box cover and pull the rocker shafts and look for witness marks to confirm that the shaft is rotating. Set the piston at TDC so both valves are closed before loosening up the support plate. Check out the video for more information.

http://rockerlockers.com/wordpress/

Latest video. Cold engine. Rpm in this video is about 1400. Now my bike is in dealer. I post more information when I get it back.

Latest video. Cold engine. Rpm in this video is about 1400. Now my bike is in dealer. I post more information when I get it back.

You have posted three video recording of the noise from a cold motor and two requests have been made for a video of the noise at operating temps but, for some reason, you have not posted a video at operating temps. The noise still sounds like a rocker arm, either loose or rotating in the support plate. However, posting a video at operating temp could help narrow down the source, say if the noise is piston slap (doubtful), that noise would go away at operating temps.

Anyway, very easy to DIY diagnose and repair but dealer techs have a common response to such noises, "they all do that" or "dont' worry, it's normal" but often times they will offer a solution that will not fix the problem. The reason for that is that dealer techs don't have any incentive to fix the problem because they really don't have a solution. Good luck with the dealer but if you want to find the problem and a solution, roll up your sleeves and DIY. Please keep us posted on the outcome.;)

Finally I got my bike back. It was crancshaft problem (back connecting rod was loose). Dealer changed new crancshaft / bearings and there is no more noise...I posted videos when bike is cold because you cannot hear noise when it's warm up... Sorry my bad english, hopefully everybody understand it...

Last edited:
Finally I got my bike back. It was crancshaft problem (back connecting rod was loose). Dealer changed new crancshaft / bearings and there is no more noise...I posted videos when bike is cold because you cannot hear noise when it's warm up... Sorry my bad english, hopefully everybody understand it...

Thanks for the update. Had you posted a video at operating temp showing no noise, that would have eliminated valve train as the source. No noise at operating temps point to piston slap or, as was the case, connecting rods, wrist pins, etc.

Back