free website stats program engine lope like a hotrod | Harley Davidson Forums

engine lope like a hotrod

Can I modify my 2000 V-twin (carburetor) enough to get it to lope like a hotrod? Or would I need to start with another engine?

Sounds good with a "low RPM boost" cam upgrade, but I'm looking for that infamous hotrod rhythmic lope. What mechanically generates that lope?

thanks

That lope was from an era past with the older bikes (pans, shovels, knucks) and is you try to lower the idle down on your evo, you'll undoubtedly starve the engine for oil at idle and the charging system will not be able to keep up either. Set the idle where it belongs and enjoy the bike for what it is.

Yes I'm aware of the older engines, plus I am enjoying my bike. You didn't really answer my question. Let me rephrase. If my engine blows up, can I then rebuild MY engine to lope, or will I need another block?

The specs of newer engine are the specs, If engine would blow up you could rebuild with a radical cam, oversizes bore and high volume oil pump but then how would you ride it??? What I mean is it would not be very streetable and hard to ride smoothly.. The rebuild as stated would mostly be used in a high performance mode like drag racing....

Yes I'm aware of the older engines, plus I am enjoying my bike. You didn't really answer my question. Let me rephrase. If my engine blows up, can I then rebuild MY engine to lope, or will I need another block?

Sure, a high overlap cam would give you the sound but again you will suffer in the drivability department. Cam choices can and will effect the low speed drivability.You're trying to do something to your present engine that will end up with you having basically a loping idle but loose the reliability and drivability of the bike. Your choice as to what you want but give it a lot of thought before doing it.

How much money are you willing to part with is the question for a non street able ride that will not last long, IMO if you want that lope buy an older model Shovel head or Pan head and have a ball:s

Sure, a high overlap cam would give you the sound but again you will suffer in the drivability department. Cam choices can and will effect the low speed drivability.You're trying to do something to your present engine that will end up with you having basically a loping idle but loose the reliability and drivability of the bike. Your choice as to what you want but give it a lot of thought before doing it.

Does a loping Shovel head or a Pan head also suffer from low speed drivability?

Does a loping Shovel head or a Pan head also suffer from low speed drivability?

Oil leaks, but they could be fixed with modern day gaskets, Stock 4 speeds with dry (NOISY) clutches But they had a good lope and could idle at low RPM low volume low oil pressure

Back