free website stats program engine light | Harley Davidson Forums

engine light

Red Dog

I have an 08 Ultra Classic. When I turn on the switch and hit the run button the engine light will go off after a couple of seconds like it's supposed to. Just recently it has started to come back on and stays on for 6 or 7 seconds. I think it may be a sensor but I'm not sure. Anyone else experienced the same problem?

I had an instance where my cruise control started malfunctioning. Shortly after that the check engine light came on. I was worried something was really wrong with the bike, so I made an appointment to get it checked out. Before I made it to the appointment the light went out and stayed off. However, everytime I would first start the bike, the check engine light would come on just after it starts and then go off (aside from the normal on/off operation). I spoke with the dealer when I was getting it serviced and he said that the light coming back on after start up and then going off again was a way to indicate that an error code or fault was generated in within the last 50 starts. Even if the error or problem is no longer present it will do this until you reach 50 starts/runs without a fault. The dealer can clear your codes and this will stop the light from coming back on, that is if a problem does exist.

You can clear the codes yourself through the DTC setup in the speedo on the newer bikes after 04.

I would also want to know what code was being displayed before I reached the 50th start and it cleared itself. Like most malfunctions, it may go away for awhile but the root cause is probably still there and it'll most likely be back. Use Glider's link, write down the codes, and take care of whatever is going on. Your peace of mind will be priceless!

Back