free website stats program Engine Life | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Life

I personally think the verdict on the long term high mileage reliability on the '08 and newer engines has yet to be determined...due to the fact that they run a lot hotter and leaner than the earlier years...I rode a '99 Springer the other day in 95 deg heat and the first thing I notice was how cool the engine was running...no heat pouring up between your thighs just cooking them @ a stop light like all my buddies '08,'09 and '10s I have ridden....

I think Smitty has a very good point here. Oil changes and basic service work are pretty simple and straight forward and even the stage 1 is just like a very good tune for a stock motor, but beyond that you really need someone that's been there done that. You have to take into consideration how you're motor works as a complete unit, realizing that whatever you do to the top end is going to affect the bottom end. Just regular service and a good synthetic oil will do you good for many many miles.

I have to agree with you there.I can't beleive the difference in heat betwween my 07-96ci. and my wife's 93-FXRS

Steve, can you come up with some reasons why that is so. I can tell you for a fact it is not the A/F ratio or amount of fuel that is ingested. Are the cylinders on the '92 cast iron? Can it be totally due to a simple matter of cu/in.

I have a buddy who has a '79 Sportster and I believe his cylinders are iron. I wish I could come up with some reasoning for this overwhelming difference between the 2 bikes.

I do agree, the heat that comes off my '96 is simply crazy. I never owned any other Harley other than this 2009 so I have nothing to compare it to. But trust me, its is not all due to the A/F ratios of fuel because I have driven my maps to almost blowing black smoke out the pipes and the bike still overheats.

I avg about 100,000 + between each total rebuild out of my early Pan motors I have run Amsoil since 1973 and change it every 4000 miles run there heavy gear oil in the tranny and change that every 6 months Would never have gone that far running regular H-D Oil

friend has a 96 fat boy third around on the clock. blew whole in a piston. high speed down shift, got cut offf. he claims cause he used to use alot of octane buster in it at times.new pistons, redid jugs,back on road again.( he rides it like he stole it ) hope my RK goes that far

Have a 98 Fatboy and an 06 Street Glide. Love em both for different reasons. My Evo runs way cooler than the 88. The 88 has the stage one but still pretty hot. Have to admit I like the fuel injection.

Dont really know as I trade @ 50k I do all my own fluids and have used HD360 with no major problems. The Reddhead said I can buy a trike in a year so I will probably give the Streetbob to her LOL:s

Smitty, You bring up several valid points. Like you said, heat is being generated faster than you can get rid of it while standing still. I now just treat my bike as if it is a Shark. It must remain in motion to survive.

Back